Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New/getting into megaprojects  (Read 828 times)

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New/getting into megaprojects
« on: January 01, 2010, 11:10:30 pm »

Well I got into dwarf fortress about..2 weeks ago.  This past week I've been working on my latest fortress's dwarven monument, which is basically a giant useless tower with the emblem of my dwarves (it's in the shape of my workshop floor).  The only thing is it took about 10 years in game and about a week real time, is this about average?  Am I on the right track?  I've had about 5 fortresses that have failed, still was fun though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My entrance in the foreground with my guardhouse, 3 stories, barracks on the bottom and weapons and armor caches on the 2nd and 3rd.

Also I'm planning on putting a giant statue of my grand general Ezum Tenshedoddom Seshthebil Neth who can at this point punch goblins twenty feet into a wall and cause them to explode because of about...7 years of wrestling training.  When I saw this happen I definitely wanted to make a statue.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: New/getting into megaprojects
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 11:24:24 pm »

Why give him a hammer when you could always give him ANGRY FISTS!...

pouring magma eyes! fo sho mang!

I'd say bigger, although that's always a start with what you got.

A mega project or is more or less just building something stupidly huge and completely unneeded just because...

A combat ring/gladiator ring/whatever you want to call it IIRC is completely pointless as it doesn't give any dwarf a happy though that creature X killed 20 Y's.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 11:30:29 pm »

Why give him a hammer when you could always give him ANGRY FISTS!...

pouring magma eyes! fo sho mang!

I'd say bigger, although that's always a start with what you got.

A mega project or is more or less just building something stupidly huge and completely unneeded just because...

A combat ring/gladiator ring/whatever you want to call it IIRC is completely pointless as it doesn't give any dwarf a happy though that creature X killed 20 Y's.
I don't think my map has magma...yes, even though I have obsidian covering the tops of every mountain in my map.

Also, I gave him a hammer because that's what he uses when he needs to fight undead, he was able to give a zombie titan knockback.  The titan's bones were soon after used by a dwarf in a strange mood to make some chains engraved with one of Ezum's goblin kills, it was so beautiful.

I actually began the tower just so i could clear out some chert from my workshops and stockpile attic early on.

Also, does anyone know anyway to find the names of dwarves that have died without abandoning and looking at the legends mode?  Like say I forgot the name of the founder of my fortress...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 12:11:37 am by armadilloHD »

Echo7

• Bay Watcher
  • Reading you loud and clear, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 02:15:26 am »

You can always view your dwarfs (u) and scroll waaaaaay down towards the bottom.  It'll show your dead dwarves eventually (you still have to remember his name, though).

Another alternative that you can do (what I've done in the past) is save back to the title screen, make a copy of your region folder, load the copy and abandon THAT fortress.  Then you can view the copied region in Legends without it affecting your main save.
Always shoot first.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 02:24:58 am »

10 years and a week - yeah, that's about right.

A megaproject competition would need about 10 years game time for experienced players, or more for larger megas. With more experience you might find you can do a project like that much faster. You learn how to organize your dwarves better, how to better get goods like blocks where you need them, and so on. Some fo these things can seriously speed up your project.

In terms of RL time, that depends a lot on your computer and goals. One of my megaprojects was to excavate a town fortress from the surrounding mountains. I did most of it with about 20 dwarves and it took 25 years of game time, but not much RL time because of the low population. I'm not sure it would have gone faster with more dwarves. Some projects are just like that, especially some digging ones. If you are going to do glass projects, you need loads of dwarves. You need masons to build, haulers, sandbag fillers, more haulers, glasscrafters, more haulers, bag makers, more haulers.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 05:15:09 am »

I start building my megaprojects when my fortress is fully developed, basically meaning that only few dwarves need to work to keep it up. Only then you have enough workforce for those big projects (or I just get kind of angry when I see 150 idlers in the meeting hall and try to find them some work). And with 200+ workers its quite possible to build it really fast.

As for the founder of the fortress, you can find him/her on artifacts or engravings. But back-ups and abandoning is much faster way to find it out.

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 07:31:09 am »

I've actually limited my fortress's population cap to about 85...I've noticed in a lot of games when I get a lot of units things just get too complicated and requires too much micromanagement and I lose interest, I like legendary dwarves though and I have a LOT, about 1/3 my fortress is.

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 11:17:36 am »

my mega-projects usually take about half that time.  but them again my mega projects weren't the most challenging things in the world.  I mostly construct giant towers and walls that spew magma into the entry way