Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reveal on Dwarf Heaven?  (Read 1359 times)

tmountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reveal on Dwarf Heaven?
« on: September 15, 2009, 08:24:10 am »

Does anyone have a reveal'd save on the dwarf heaven map? I spent the good part of an hour strip mining it last night searching for magnetite and came up empty handed. I'd do it myself, but I'm on a Linux OS, so I can't use the executable. In case you're foggy on what "dwarf heaven" is, I'm referring to:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=32682.0

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reveal on Dwarf Heaven?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 09:19:57 am »

There isn't any magnetite on dwarf heaven, although on mine I did a little editing in the raws to ensure it almost always shows up.

tmountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 12:24:49 pm »

There isn't any magnetite on dwarf heaven, although on mine I did a little editing in the raws to ensure it almost always shows up.

Then I guess it's not really heaven is it? What dwarf would be satisfied without ore to rip out of the earth and forge into the finest weapons? I'll probably just look for a map with similar features but also includes a few metric fuck-tons of ore. Thanks for the reply.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 12:41:11 pm »

I'd check the DF heaven thread. I thought there was some, although when I genned on my mac I got a different set of rocks, including no ore beyond copper. If you genned it under linux, I'd expect a similar shift, which is well documented. Download a pregenned save to get the pure set.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

jojojoey70

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 01:41:39 pm »

I found a fair amount of magnetite on my dwarf heaven map. it was just south of the magma pipe a few levels down, if that helps. good luck

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 07:55:45 pm »

Erm vanilla doesn't have any iron on dwarf heaven

That's what goblins are for.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 08:06:16 pm »

Dwarf Heaven doesn't have any magnetite because there are no sedimentary layers, being situated on a volcano. Incidentally, this is also why it has no bauxite and no coal.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 03:06:54 am »

Actually, on mine i got some coal. But then again, i'm using Dig Deeper, so that might be why.

Kinda annoying that there's no sand. I've already lost 2 glassmakers to failed moods ("Must have rough green glass!". Seriously, if a spirit is gonna go through the trouble of possessing one of my Dwarves and getting him to make an Artifact, you'd think it'd make sure i can actually meet the demands beforehand. Same with Nobles, for that matter. The demands part, i mean.).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 03:10:21 am by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 05:03:01 am »

eh? i'm using vanilla 40d (as far as mods anyway, i doubt a tileset+ grpahics set would change a world gen)and i had sand on dwarf heaven. red sand  on the middle oval shaped plain at the brook level under the grass on the left. well i am sure it is, i lost that fortress to hfs a while back and didn't bother restarting there. it was right near my entrance.

Spoiler: HFS warning (click to show/hide)

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 06:13:13 am »

Seriously, if a spirit is gonna go through the trouble of possessing one of my Dwarves and getting him to make an Artifact, you'd think it'd make sure i can actually meet the demands beforehand. Same with Nobles, for that matter. The demands part, i mean.).
You're making the error of assuming that dwarf nobles have the brains to know or work out what they do and don't have access to. And that's not wise. After all, "Assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups"
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.