Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Giving the Elves Culture-Appropriate Weapons  (Read 2583 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Giving the Elves Culture-Appropriate Weapons
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2009, 11:20:34 am »

Wrestlers won't use weapons that use wrestling skills.  Wrestling is hardcoded to use no weapons.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2009, 11:40:27 am »

Just copy the elf weapons from Deon's DF Complete:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Or you could have them use a special metal (smelter reaction like 1 wood and 200 skulls/cheapgems into one elf-laminate bar). Have them wear Elf Laminated Breastplates. Elves ofcourse don't kill trees and plants, they honourably use only wood that has died of natural causes.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2009, 12:08:47 pm »

You could make your elves use gross biotech, sort of.  Plant-based instead of the usual animal-based.

It would be fairly cool if elven weapons are all still alive and need nutrition, either from the ground or from living enemies.  Too bad there's no way to implement that.

How about arrows which use hardened, sharp leaves or seeds rather than metal or stone points, and softer leaves for fletching.  "Leaf arrows," maybe.

[ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ARROWS_LEAF]
[NAME:leaf arrow:leaf arrows]
[CLASS:ARROW]
[DAMAGE:100:PIERCE]

Actually, it'd be cool and fitting for them to have multiple types of arrows, if that can be implemented properly.  But it's too bad weapons still can't be poisoned.  Maybe the next version.  Things like... Stunreed arrows which do reduced piercing damage but cause stunning, Glowshroom arrows do small bludgeoning damage but make the victim hallucinate, vine arrows do no damage but "paralyze" the target, etc.

Actually, it'd be really cool if some arrows and other weapons could behave like creatures.  Badger root arrows could do light gore damage, but latch on and continue to inflict gore damage at regular intervals, until they're ripped off.  The badger root arrow shakes blarg around by the 2nd toe, left foot!  It is badly torn!

Hm, and elf traps could be things like venus flytraps, and elf doors could be sentient branches and giant leaves that bend aside for permitted people.  "Elf Fortress" would have some potential.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2009, 02:39:55 pm »

Wrestling is hardcoded to use no weapons

damn.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2009, 04:47:09 pm »

Wrestling weapons use the Mining tag I think

downside of this is, the unit can now dig. this may also be a plus.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2009, 04:59:07 pm »

That's only if they have mining as a profession.  In which case, they are drafted miners.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 2 [3]