Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER not working correctly?  (Read 529 times)

Anu Necunoscut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER not working correctly?
« on: September 10, 2009, 11:34:22 pm »

I wanted to generate a world with -massive- populations of goblins, in part to mitigate the exponential depletion of local leaders during sieges.  Therefore I dropped the CHILD tag to 1, removed the BABY tag altogether, and replaced MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE with LITTERSIZE:4:8.

It's not working.  Most of the dark towers were filled with the snatched, and the site pops never climbed over the vanilla averages.  I nixed the BABYSNATCHER tag next to keep things strictly goblin, replaced INTELLIGENT with CAN_CIV CAN_LEARN, got more satisfying numbers of goblins in worldgen battles (which I figure are drawn from multiple sites), but still the sites had populations of 80, 74, etc., even after centuries of peace.  Ramping up the littersize and max site pop incrementally to ridiculous numbers seemed to make zero difference.

Any advice as to what I'm messing up?  Is the tag just not implemented yet, or limited by something hardcoded?  Cheers for any help or insight!

edit:  Whoops!  Typo.  Typed CAN_SPEAK when I meant CAN_CIV.  See first response.  :P
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 07:44:57 am by Anu Necunoscut »

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER not working correctly?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 01:58:56 am »

I wanted to generate a world with -massive- populations of goblins, in part to mitigate the exponential depletion of local leaders during sieges.  Therefore I dropped the CHILD tag to 1, removed the BABY tag altogether, and replaced MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE with LITTERSIZE:4:8.

It's not working.  Most of the dark towers were filled with the snatched, and the site pops never climbed over the vanilla averages.  I nixed the BABYSNATCHER tag next to keep things strictly goblin, replaced INTELLIGENT with CAN_SPEAK CAN_LEARN, got more satisfying numbers of goblins in worldgen battles (which I figure are drawn from multiple sites), but still the sites had populations of 80, 74, etc., even after centuries of peace.  Ramping up the littersize and max site pop incrementally to ridiculous numbers seemed to make zero difference.

Any advice as to what I'm messing up?  Is the tag just not implemented yet, or limited by something hardcoded?  Cheers for any help or insight!

you said that you removed the [INTELLIGENT] tag which is 3 tags bound together ([CAN_CIV], [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK]) and you replaced it with can learn and can speak but they cant possibly make civilizations without the can_civ tag, my guess is that thats the problem.

But since i am not that experianced with the tags and modding alltogether i might be wrong.  :-\

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 02:14:10 am »

I'm hoping that was just a typo, and not what really happened.
Uh, let's see, I know due to breeding one guy got around a thousand orcs in one site, but I think it was a 10,000 year world, too, so the tags work, but it may just be a combination of everything.

Anu Necunoscut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 07:44:33 am »

Yeah, it was just a typo.  Sorry for that.  :P

I also reverted to vanilla raws and focused on just modding the civ-site and littersize rather than mess with too much at once.  Today I have a bit of time, so maybe I'll try a totally incremental approach, modding each tag in turn rather than a bunch together, using some -long- end dates, see what I can come up with.