Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39e] Can't find item spam  (Read 2339 times)

Poisonclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Genius
    • View Profile
[39e] Can't find item spam
« on: July 28, 2008, 07:51:44 am »

My thresher got nuts, for some reason he owns an object he can't get to. This wouln't be a problem normally but the message "Tun Amkindeler, Thresher cancels Store Owned Item: Item inaccessible" pops up every 5 seconds or so...

The situation is so dire I almost feel like killing the poor dwarf, which would be bad since I'm low on good threshers.

There have been some accidents with lakes on my map where soldiers fell down and drowned, leaving their clothes on the bottom of the lake. I tried to forbid them all but the message keeps coming.

Please help me shut the dwarf up without killing her...
And this one time, at Dwarf Fortress...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: [39e] Can't find item spam
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 10:10:07 pm »

Do you have the save?  I probably won't get to it in time to be of any use to you personally, but hopefully I can figure out what's going on.  There seem to be a number of issues now with cancellations from haul jobs that shouldn't be initiated in the first place, but the checks are in place (including for this type of haul job), so I'm not sure what's going on.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 11:26:02 pm »

You probably missed an item somewhere. It did this exact same thing to me when I discovered an underground lake and the inhabitants (damn you giant olm!) promptly butchered all they could lay their hands on until I walled it up. Then I was spammed with a jillion messages since they were all trying to gather the clothes and limbs and bones and stuff off the bottom of the lake.

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 11:01:18 am »

The same thing happened to me when a tantrum made a generic dwarf fall in my well and ownership transferred to her spouse. Forbidding did not help. But I did learn not to put grates around the meeting area well. Pumping the water to give access to the forbidden items, the spouse happily carried them away, though I probably unforbidded them by then.

And I thought I had finished with the aquifer on that fort ...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 11:11:41 am »

He's trying to claim a forbidden item or something along those lines, I guess.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Poisonclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 06:16:00 pm »

Sorry for the late reply, I have got the save left, at home (No I'm not at home right now). I'll be able to get it about thursday, maybe later... how should i give it to you, zipped in a mail? What files?

I'm also quite sure i have forbidden all items... but there was quite alot so it's ofcourse possible I have missed something....even though I double checked it... twice...

Poisonclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 06:42:00 pm »

When you get the save, you might wanna take a extra look on the drowned merchants guards (Notice, it's the merchants that died) that have lived under water for some months. And my brooker that lost his left arm in an ambush early in the game that have been resting in bed for some years now without getting better, the fun thing is that he has done his calculations perfectly from his bed somehow...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 09:02:02 pm »

Sorry for the late reply, I have got the save left, at home (No I'm not at home right now). I'll be able to get it about thursday, maybe later... how should i give it to you, zipped in a mail? What files?

I'll need the region folder in some kind of zip/rar/7z, and any new objects that were added to the raw folder.  If it's less than 20 megs, you can send it to toadyone@bay12games.com.  You can also try The Dwarf Fortress File Depot which has a special section for bugged saves.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Poisonclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 06:57:21 am »

I should have sent the files to you now, along with some explanation

GL

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 08:36:28 pm »

After downloading OpenGL/SDL DF 40d16 and loading a 0.28.181.40d fortress I had the same problem.  The problem is that it was an early point in the fortress and the dwarves should not be owning any items to store.

In addition I had made sure that there were no forbidden or dumped items, so I am stumped.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 09:31:42 pm »

After downloading OpenGL/SDL DF 40d16 and loading a 0.28.181.40d fortress I had the same problem.  The problem is that it was an early point in the fortress and the dwarves should not be owning any items to store.

In addition I had made sure that there were no forbidden or dumped items, so I am stumped.

Did this happen to coincide with someone drowning or otherwise ending up dead underwater?

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 02:29:37 pm »

Nope, it did not

EDIT: I have so many fortresses I get them confused it in fact did, explaining the error