Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm having Fun!  (Read 1436 times)

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I'm having Fun!
« on: September 08, 2009, 11:01:24 pm »

So, I just genned a new world . This was my first embark near a chasm and I was amazed at the amount of critters there. The whole map is crawling with naked mole dogs, ratmen and troglodytes. Every second my dorfs get spooked by something and interrupt their jobs. The looks pretty messed up, it mostly hills and crevices and barely any flat land. It's kinda hard to navigate because I'm used to settling in flat areas. But this place got a magma pipe, a chasm, a pit and a brook all withing walking distance, so I'm happy. There's also exposed gem clusters and stuff everywhere and I even saw a tiny patch of aluminum. Things started to go sour pretty fast, though. I noticed my Mason (FunFact: My mason's last name translates to "Traderballs". I'm not making this up.) wasn't doing his assigned job. I found him, unconscious, surrounded by over-exerted ratmen. My woodworker quickly finished them, but it was too late. Apparently, good ol' Traderballs lost both of his eyes and got a red injury to his ankle. I didn't have any beds, so I wrote his off as dead and just left him lying there. Several minutes I check back and find Traderballs happily walking to his assigned workplace. I don't know what happened to his red ankle, but his lack of eyes wasn't going to stop his from engraving that wall. I checked his thoughts and it said "Has been quite content lately. Complained about the draft. Sustained major injuries lately."
I can just imagine him writing home.
"Yeah, this place is okay, I guess. The draft is pretty bad, though. Oh, and I got my eyes gouged out..."
Well, anyways,the poor guy is passing out every five seconds, so I decide to mercy-kill the little bastard. I draft him and send him to fight a gang of troglodytes that's hanging around the top of the magma pipe (which I think might actually be a volcano). So Blinky heads over there and starts getting murdered by the troglodytes, just as I planned. Suddently...
AMBUSH
Eh, what the he...OH GOD, A GIANT FREAKIN' CAVE SPIDER OUTTA NOWHERE!!!

So, one dwarf down, one got really unhappy, a GCS on the loose and 1/3 of my supplies (including my precious anvil) is still stuck on the other side of the monster-infested volcano...This is probably the most fun, I've ever had in DF so far. Fortunately, my fort is tucked away in a safe corner, so we'll just dig in and start making fancy bedrooms for everyone to help them forget about what happened to Traderballs.  Speaking of beds, AH DAMMIT ALL THE TREES ARE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE VOLCANO!!!
So, yeah, I can tell this gonna be lots of fun (both regular and dwarfish kind).
Also, I found a dead cave crocodile, a dead snakeman and a dead lizarman in the unit list. I don't know how they died, but that means there's a cave river somewhere, right? Maybe my tree problem is solved.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: I'm having Fun!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 11:08:29 pm »

Heh.

I suggest making bone crossbows and bone bolts, then going out in a blaze of glory.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 11:21:30 pm »

I like to carve subterranean tunnels for stuff like this. Typically they provide a shortcut straight through my defenses... but are at least slightly guarded and are designed to completely seal off, unlike the rest of my defenses.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 12:43:58 pm »

"Yeah, this place is okay, I guess. The draft is pretty bad, though. Oh, and I got my eyes gouged out..."
sig worthy

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 01:05:44 pm »

As a minor point of clarification, the "draft" complaint is about being drafted into the military, not about a lack or doors or anything.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 05:36:59 pm »

As a minor point of clarification, the "draft" complaint is about being drafted into the military, not about a lack or doors or anything.

Wha...really? 'Cause I'm pretty sure I had dwarfs that complained about the draft without ever being in the military. :-\ (I would go check, but, in my current fort, all the dwarfs have been in the army for a short while at one point)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 05:39:14 pm »

Maybe...

Maybe their friends were drafted, which they didn't like?

Heh. I have no idea how thoughts work.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 07:45:04 pm »

Yeah I'm pretty sure dwarves get that thought from other people being drafted too.

Kind of annoying since I do it all the time by accident.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 03:29:48 pm »

Every time I see the thread title I think of that panel from Yotsuba&. "I'M HAVING FUN! SUPER FUN!"

Anyways, I had a situation like that once, though not as bad. A combination of troglodytes, a giant cave swallow or two, some zombie fauna, and fire imps (that was a fun site) drove my starting seven underground basically as soon as I embarked. After that I just sealed them in, drafted any migrants that showed up, and had them wrestle their way through it all. They earned their way into my fort.
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 04:57:13 pm »

Which begs the question: can you have a undead giant cave spider?

And if so, how would that work? I mean, would it spew web from its... skeletal-spider thing? (or zombified silk glands) Would it make it faster???

Would a skeletal giant eagle spontaneously appear and duke it out for supremacy??
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 04:59:43 pm »

can you have a undead giant cave spider?

You most certainly can - during site searches, I embarked in an evil mountain region with a bottomless pit inhabited by a zombie giant cave spider. It was quite slow, but I believe it still shot web. It also released periodic clouds of miasma.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.