Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Understanding Armor Levels  (Read 647 times)

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
Understanding Armor Levels
« on: September 08, 2009, 02:11:47 pm »

I'm trying to mod in padded jacks (under-armor gambesons).

I want them made out of cloth, but only worn by dwarves told to wear the leather level of armor.

As I understand it, the [ARMORLEVEL:#] tag makes the specific piece of equipment worn when leather, chain, or plate (1, 2, and 3 respectively) are told to be equipped by a dwarf. The omission of said tag makes it by default at even the cloth level.

I also know that the [LEATHER] tag makes a cloak able to be made out of leather.
The wiki does not mention a [CLOTH] tag, however.

Is there any way that I can get cloth padded jacks that are put on when a soldier is told to wear leather or greater?

Or must I simply make cloth padded jacks and everyone in the fort will end up wearing them?

Or might I make padded jacks out of leather?
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding Armor Levels
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 03:14:10 pm »

I'm not promising anything, but:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's a clothing but with "LAYER:ARMOR", so they should wear it as one when (cloth) is choosen as armor. Needs testing though.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 04:00:58 pm »

The LAYER tag will designate what layer they wear it on. There are 4 settings: UNDER, which is worn under clothes, OVER, which is worn on the clothes layer, ARMOR, which is worn over clothes, and COVER, which is worn over everything else. You probably want to copy the original clothing for that area, then mod it to have protection and rename it, as that'll make your dwarves wear it under armor.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 09:02:16 pm »

I thought the ARMOR layer in that was just a name for a layering; that UNDER was under OVER which was under ARMOR which was under COVER. You are saying that if I changed socks to ARMOR, no dwarf would ever wear socks until recruited?
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 10:35:15 pm »

[LAYER:ARMOR] is just a layer tag, it doesn't effect wearing prerequisites, it's armorlevel that does that. also, LAYER_SIZE changes how much the item adds to an invisible integer for each bodypart, and if that number is higher than the LAYER_PERMIT of anything that's supposed to be worn over it, the dwarf can't wear the other item over it.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 10:55:50 pm »

I would just try:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It appears to me that the tokens work this way:

(some editing after checking the raws and wiki)
[SOFT] may allow the item to be made of cloth (plant or silk)
[LEATHER] allows it to be made of leather
[HARD] may bar the item from being made of cloth and/or leather.

And in the raws:

[SOFT][LEATHER] items can be silk, plant, or leather
[LEATHER] items can be leather only

So it follows that an item with [SOFT], but not [LEATHER] can only be made out of cloth.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:31:48 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 11:09:39 pm »

This is very helpful. I've been wondering about armor.

If I add [HARD] to, say, an armor item like the Breastplate from Dig Deeper, would that item be made in the craftsdwarf's shop?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 11:26:50 pm »

Actually, checking again, maybe not.  Chainmail is [HARD][METAL], but cannot be made of bone or shell.  Greaves can be made of bone, but not shell.  Hm.  I'll need to look at the raws closer.

This is weird.  Chainmail does not have [CHAIN_METAL], but leggings do.  And leggings can be made of bone or shell.

Okay, it appears that actually, [BARRED] allows bone, [SCALED] allows shell.  And checking the wiki more closely would've helped.  Fixed in post.  How to make something cloth-exclusive is still unknown, and could use testing.

Does seem like [SOFT] has something to do with it, though.  Leather armor is [LEATHER] only, and obviously can't be made with cloth.  All normal clothing items are [SOFT] and [LEATHER].

And I guess the original question was also whether it will be worn when military dwarves are assigned "leather" armor.  Whoops, brain fart.  [ARMORLEVEL:1] should do it.

Oh, one more concern.  My code above includes [SHAPED], which prevents it from being worn with another [SHAPED] torso piece (plate armor, or doubling up on padded jacks).  I'd say that's realistic, since gamblesons were used with chainmail, but not with plate.  But if you want it to be worn with plate anyway, remove [SHAPED].
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:44:04 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!