Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing, you're doing it wrong  (Read 1424 times)

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
Fishing, you're doing it wrong
« on: September 09, 2009, 04:17:55 pm »

I was running short on turtle shells so I decided to manually refill one of the pools in my area.  It is quite close to my magma pipe but certainly not connected to it.  After the pool got refilled to at least 4/7 I get this message:

Does this need to be bugged?
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Kulantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing, you're doing it wrong
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 04:33:42 pm »

Yeah it does; I wonder why no Firefish are showing up?

Mmmmm self cooking carp...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 04:39:48 pm »

Maybe it was intended at some point that you might catch magma creatures? I dunno.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 05:12:45 pm »

Most likely, the problem is that magma pipes are an embark tile.  While the pipe itself may be cylindrical, the games thinks of it as a square area(I don't recall the precise size).  Anything in that area, the game itself thinks of as 'magma pipe'.

Dig a hole somewhere outside the magma pipe's embark tile and fill that.  It'll fill with vermin turtles soon enough.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 11:11:12 pm »

The dwarf is fishing in the area I filled fine enough.  This message was just a little bizarre.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 10:49:42 am »

Most likely, the problem is that magma pipes are an embark tile.  While the pipe itself may be cylindrical, the games thinks of it as a square area(I don't recall the precise size).  Anything in that area, the game itself thinks of as 'magma pipe'.

Dig a hole somewhere outside the magma pipe's embark tile and fill that.  It'll fill with vermin turtles soon enough.
An embark tile is 48x48 :)
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 01:09:23 pm »

Will turtles spawn in any surface body of water, even completely artificial ones? 

This then raises a question if turtles will spawn if I collapsed a piece of the surface all the way to the bottom of the map and then filled it with water (if nobody knows, I'll find out as I already have collapsed a piece of the surface).

And by embark tile you mean on the embark screen each tile is 48 tiles in game, correct?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 01:21:39 pm by Gergination »

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 01:13:00 pm »

Maybe it was intended at some point that you might catch magma creatures? I dunno.

This would be cool. Fishing for magma dwellers.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 01:36:17 pm »

You can fish turtles out of aquifer water in the middle of a glacier. I'm pretty certain they'll show up anywhere.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 04:14:08 am »

I explained the magma pipe thing a while back after I found out about it :) http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=38236.msg634182#msg634182
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.