Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Creatures should care about personal rooms being properly private  (Read 3391 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creatures should care about personal rooms being properly private
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2009, 09:49:52 pm »

How 'good' a room is can actually be a really hard thing to calculate.

For example, imagine an open-air dining room with an excellent view of a beautiful chasm (or lava pool or whatever, putting aside the dangers) -- what's wrong with that?  Why is it necessarily worth less than a dining room stuffed deep in some dark granite cave?

I think perhaps dwarves should have tastes that impact what kind of room they want, and should then favor using rooms that match those tastes.  Some dwarves might want to eat in the open-air dining room at the top of the mountain; others might want the one deep in the bowels of the earth.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2009, 11:30:01 pm »

The issue of privacy is neat.

Majority of the room, I dont give to licks about, except for the nobles. I try to give them special stock piles of there favorite foods.

I however, fail to see why enforcing a restriction which can already be done in the game.

We can already define rooms with walls if we so choose.

The next release we can make room private properties, through use of the burrows.

So that issue is pending. Although there might be some issues with married couples and sorting those burrow permission.

I dont think we should force a universal need of privacy on the dorf, that should be through either cultural context or personality trait.

On a small tangent. I think I understand way bedrooms are from the bed. What is a bed room? An area where your bed is. Take out the bed, not a bedroom.

Its in its simplest form, without preventing elaboration on the room.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2009, 11:32:14 pm »

The issue of privacy is neat.

Majority of the room, I dont give to licks about, except for the nobles. I try to give them special stock piles of there favorite foods.

I however, fail to see why enforcing a restriction which can already be done in the game.

We can already define rooms with walls if we so choose.

The next release we can make room private properties, through use of the burrows.

Except that the dwarves don't care either way, which is what I'm saying would be nice to have changed.

I dont think we should force a universal need of privacy on the dorf, that should be through either cultural context or personality trait.

I mentioned this already, actually, and probably a couple times.

On a small tangent. I think I understand way bedrooms are from the bed. What is a bed room? An area where your bed is. Take out the bed, not a bedroom.

Well... yeah? Seems kind of self-evident to me. Nobody here's arguing against that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2009, 11:57:22 pm »

I get where G-Flex is coming from though.

If you were to put a bed in the middle of your meeting hall and define a room from it, the dwarf who takes it would not be bothered at all by everyone entering and leaving his or her room.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2009, 02:54:21 pm »

Yeah, I'm picturing some episode of The Twilight Zone or whatever, where someone goes to bed in his room, and one of the walls just drops out or goes transparent and there are a bunch of people watching him like an animal in a zoo.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 2 [3]