Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: SimEcosystem  (Read 2552 times)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: SimEcosystem
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 09:00:54 am »

I was thinking less "Let your civilization prosper and beat the other guy" and more "Oh look, I just made a new animal. It ate everything."
SimLife, SimEarth, Evolution the game of intelligent life
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 09:04:05 am »

I was thinking less "Let your civilization prosper and beat the other guy" and more "Oh look, I just made a new animal. It ate everything."
SimLife, SimEarth, Evolution the game of intelligent life

I loved SimLife! I picked up a copy out of a bargain bin when I was seven!

It was awesome.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 09:15:42 am »

There's been alot of attempts, but as it turns out Evolution is really frigging complicated and doesn't actually make for a very good mass-marketable game. Spore's so far the best one out there, but is dragged down by the fact that it needs to actually sell as a game, which is sad, because there was potential for an unrivaled god sim there.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 09:21:24 am »

I can't say that I agree with you there.

Spore was basically a watered down sequence of Pacman, Diablo, Warcraft, Warcraft, and whatever the space phase would be.

There was very little "evolution" that was actually stimulated. Creatures just lived in fixed-size communities, and there was no natural selection going on.

It was a bit of an MMO Tamogachi to me.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 09:37:06 am »

Like i said, it was dragged down by the need to be a game, as opposed to a simulation.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 02:54:40 pm »

Spore was not so much an actual game as a sandbox type thingy, just like all of its predecessors except for SimCity which could be pretty fricken hard at times.....

Anyways, to simplify my suggestion:

-Animal populations are varied by means of stastics or possibly even different limb configurations
-Animals must eat to continue living
-Animals must survive to breeding to pass on their set of hardcoded genes
-Animal populations will regularly destroyed and replaced by new populations that migrate in

All of this would take place in the world gen, which would no doubtedly need to simplify things b/c of hardware limitations

This could be used to make randomized organisms (include an exaggurated mutation system) or simply to randomize and balance the wildlife in each biome, hopefully OP organisms like sadist pacedyrms and psycotic freshwater fish will never happen again, although I know we all love them
Pages: 1 2 [3]