Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Walled bridges/aqueducts  (Read 608 times)

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Walled bridges/aqueducts
« on: September 07, 2009, 09:14:25 am »

It might be nice to see a return of the old aqueducts from 2D, for simple reasons of consolidating tasks.

Building floors across a gap, then walls on either side of the floors, can get more than a little tedious, to say nothing of the inordinate material cost(compare constructed floors vs bridges as it stands - and bridges can do more; the only thing they can't do is support construction). I think it'd be nice to have a "bridge" construction that is automatically walled, and costs extra stone accordingly. Like horizontal axles, its orientation could be changed; like bridges, it can be scaled in both dimensions if you want a wider one. Perhaps it'd be constrained to slightly smaller jobs - 8x8, say, so that the walls don't exceed the 10x10 dimensions seen in other construction. Doing it that way, rather than having the outermost two lines of the normal designation be made as walls, might prevent nonsense results - if you have, say, a 1x3 N-S aqueduct, and swap orientation, it doesn't need special-case programming to bump its width up to 3.

Though I mostly conceive this for aqueducts/magma ducts as the title says, it'd also be handy for bridging a chasm just so dwarves don't fall off accidentally, e.g. because a cave swallowman spooks them.

In general, bringing constructions more in line with bridges might be nice - have the option to make single structures, which, while not strong enough to be load-bearing, also don't take as much material.

This would probably require architecture to be reworked, though, given how slowly anything with variable cost gets designed now.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Walled bridges/aqueducts
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 11:39:41 pm »

Pipes are on the devlist, which is pretty much a square that can transport fluids (magma or water) that dwarves can walk over and not get wet/burned by.

Though, floor and wall taking 2/3rds of the current material might be nice. But then again, I'd rather have them take up x2 the amount, just so we can use it all.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 05:27:55 am »

except x2 isn't really viable if you regularly make constructions out of wood (I do :p).  Maybe stone constructions only.  Glass could take x4 or more blocks, just because.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 08:04:07 am »

There are ways to deal with excess material. If you really want to get rid of stone etc, and there is a chasm or bottomless pit or even a cave river terminus(which spills into a mini-chasm) on your map, problem solved. Even magma will do in a pinch.

The problem is, indeed, what to do when you want to use an expensive material. If, in time, constructions become vulnerable to magma, it'd be nice to not need THAT much steel to pull off your magmaduct.

Pipes are good, true, but the problem I mean to address with the walls is partly the matter of falling off.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.