Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animals escaping from cages  (Read 594 times)

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animals escaping from cages
« on: September 09, 2009, 12:22:55 pm »

I caught some naked mole rats and two giant moles recently.  Once my dwarves started complaining that there were not enough cages for my new traps, I decided to pit them all and let them breed.  The dungeon master has not arrived yet, so none of them are tame. 

Unfortunately, the dwarves decided to take the naked mole rats out of their cages in order to haul them, leading to one death.  Is there any way to get the dwarves to carry the cages to my pit, rather than removing dangerous animals from their cages?

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animals escaping from cages
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 12:26:36 pm »

You can place the cage as furniture next to the pit then designate the animal to be pitted. At least this way there's only one tile for him to dump the animal.

Angellus

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 12:37:09 pm »

Is there a tag that makes an animal escape?

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 12:54:15 pm »

I tried that, and the first mole rat went in fine, but the second went on a rampage.  At this point I'm going to build the cages in a sealed off room and release them with a lever, but it's a shame that there isn't an easier way.

Angellus

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 01:09:38 pm »

Are you sure you have placed the cage EXACTLY next to the pit? No titles between, just right next to the pit? I never had any problems like that...

Anyway, does anyone know the tag that lets them escape?

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 01:36:13 pm »

Animals escape from cages because of something being done to the cage, such as it being destroyed, or taken to the trade depot.

They escape while being moved by a dwarf for a number of reasons, and I personally have no idea which ones actually matter.

Place their cage exactly next to the pit, then pit them, it should be a fool-proof way to pit anything other then things that can kill on touch.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.)