Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yes mister, I understand you want bones, yes... WHAT KIND DAMMIT?!  (Read 1325 times)

Angellus

Yes mister, I understand you want bones, yes... WHAT KIND DAMMIT?!
« on: September 08, 2009, 10:32:57 am »

Hi,

I have a fey dwarf that demands bones, as he is hauling his 4th adamantium bar to his forge I'd like this artifact to actually work. Between hauling addy inside he just waits and demands bones, what kind should I have?

I have a lot of bones, but also a lot of bonebolt industries.

==========================

Nvm. He went mad.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Yes mister, I understand you want bones, yes... WHAT KIND DAMMIT?!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 10:37:23 am »

Perhaps he wanted skulls.  I don't think they ever request products from specific creatures, aside from shells, which are a completely different matter.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 10:45:03 am »

Perhaps he wanted skulls.  I don't think they ever request products from specific creatures, aside from shells, which are a completely different matter.

Even with shells they aren't picky if they come from Snailmen, Turtles, or Cave Lobster. It's just frustrating that there are so few ways to get shell and so many friggin demands for it.

Are you sure it was the bone he was lacking and not something else? Dwarves pick up items in the order they need them, if he needed, say, 3 metal bars (the adamantine), two raw gems, and bones and you don't have all the gems, he'd gather the metal and sit there screaming for gems and bones.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 12:51:14 pm »

check his personal preferences, he may want a specific species of bone?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 01:00:16 pm »

Are you sure it was the bone he was lacking and not something else? Dwarves pick up items in the order they need them, if he needed, say, 3 metal bars (the adamantine), two raw gems, and bones and you don't have all the gems, he'd gather the metal and sit there screaming for gems and bones.

Also, if he wanted 3 metal bars, raw gems, blocks, bones, then more blocks, he'll insist on gathering both blocks before even thinking about getting the bones.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 01:04:00 pm »

check his personal preferences, he may want a specific species of bone?

I have never ever seen this happen.

Its probably him wanting something else.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 01:12:14 pm »

What's more likely is either you were lacking something before the bones or he wanted skulls. Shell, I believe, has it's own request, it's not lumped in with bone and skull.

It's a moot point, but if you ever get seriously confused you can reload the game in 40d and run dwarf companion to find out (or even change) what he wants.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Angellus

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 02:52:36 pm »

Hi, thanks for the replies.
I have more then enough skulls and shells available, I think he wanted more metal and therefore did not start the bonegathering yet, shame he died though...

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 10:26:13 pm »

I don't think a dwarf will ever ask for a skull when in a strange mood(the wiki confirms it). Shells are a different item. If he wanted bones, and you had bones, then chances are he was hung up on something else(gems? cloth?) before the bones.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.