Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Resettlement  (Read 4134 times)

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Resettlement
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:58:55 pm »

In the current game, after abandoning your fort, all living dwarves become part of a travelling group on the world map, but this does not affect gameplay much in later forts. I suggest that after an abandon, there will be the game starting option of resettling an existing group of dwarves. This is similar to a reclaim, only instead of "same site, different dwarves", we get "same dwarves, different site".

You start with all the non-insane dwarves from the abandoned fortress, as well as a wagon containing all the items that were stockpiled at the time of the abandon. This not only allows the player to preserve dwarves between fortresses, but also makes it possible to have a nomadic fortress, settling at a site for a few years before packing up and moving on.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Resettlement
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 01:12:35 am »

Having the same dwarves recur would be fun, but a travelling group of nomads would travel light and probably not bring every thing stockpiled in the previous fort.   Especially since this would usually amount to thousands of stones, crafted trinkets, etc.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 06:42:03 am »

Perhaps instead of a point limit upon embark, there is a weight limit, and you can only buy things that you had stockpiled in your fortress. 

Also, I love this idea.  It would be particularly useful and awesome for single-dwarf challenges.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 07:29:21 am »

The basic premise isn't new but its solid.  It fits Moria very well, the dwarves fled the Balrog as a group and resettled in the lonely mountain, apparently with enough population/skill/organization to be a still powerful nation.

If the fort is abandoned 'in haste' aka you were getting over-run with baddies and commanded all your dwarves to just flee for their lives then I would expect your group to have little or nothing, they would be literal refugees.  If on the other hand your abandoned a fort of your own volition (mines exhausted, trees are all gone, your OCD and made a flaw in the city layout) then being able to select whats taken makes sense, though I presume wagon building would be necessary for transporting all the stuff once were allowed to make them.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

snus-mumrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 04:20:52 pm »

I think if you leave the fort in an organized manner (and not flee), than you must build wagons and load them with all the goods that you want to take with you. So you must decide what you take before you leave and not when you embark. Each wagon should have limited capacity, and it must be built and supplied with animals (horses, mules etc).

It would also be interesting if some dwarfs, goods or entire wagons would disappear during the journey (monsters, robbers, cliffs, swamps... )

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 04:58:31 pm »

I'd still rather just have your dwarves keep on living in your fortress.  Just because YOU abandoned the fortress doesn't mean the dwarves have to.  Building your fort up to Mountainhome, making it fully self-sustaining, and then leaving with 7 dwarves to set up a new fort, or just plain take up an adventurer who could come and visit that rarest of rares - a fully functioning self-sustained society - would be cooler.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 01:24:13 am »

Gradual migration seems like a better bet for peaceful relocation. Abandonment should be a desperation measure, you can't trust a new hovel to make a safe home for a large amount of people

snus-mumrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 11:56:08 am »

I'd still rather just have your dwarves keep on living in your fortress.  Just because YOU abandoned the fortress doesn't mean the dwarves have to.  Building your fort up to Mountainhome, making it fully self-sustaining, and then leaving with 7 dwarves to set up a new fort, or just plain take up an adventurer who could come and visit that rarest of rares - a fully functioning self-sustained society - would be cooler.

Sounds great. I'd like to build a fort, then leave it (no dwarf really leaves, the player just stops controlling the fort), and then visit it in adventure mode or trade with it in fortress mode (after building a new fort with new 7 dwarfs).
The problem is that it would require determining whether the colony can survive. If I embark, build nothing and just leave, what will I see in adventure mode? Dwarf built their own fort? They just wander around the wagon? They are all dead/disappeared?
Of course some simple decision can be implemented rather easily, but it can cause many unexpected results and annoyance.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 07:54:08 pm »

Sounds great. I'd like to build a fort, then leave it (no dwarf really leaves, the player just stops controlling the fort), and then visit it in adventure mode or trade with it in fortress mode (after building a new fort with new 7 dwarfs).
The problem is that it would require determining whether the colony can survive. If I embark, build nothing and just leave, what will I see in adventure mode? Dwarf built their own fort? They just wander around the wagon? They are all dead/disappeared?
Of course some simple decision can be implemented rather easily, but it can cause many unexpected results and annoyance.

I like this idea. Being able to leave your fort and visit as an adventurer, or start another fort somewhere else(possibly even trading with your old fort), and other stuff like that would be fun. As far as checking to see if the fort can survive, maybe there could be a minimum fortress wealth. Under that point, the fortress would be abandoned like it is now, but above that point it would stay functioning. The premise being if your fort is valuable enough, they would at least be able to trade for food and such to survive.

I would also like to see the ability to continue generating worlds after you retire from a fortress. So you build a successful outpost with a strong military, then let worldgen run another 100 years to see you conquered the nearby human and elven settlements.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:05:03 pm by RandomNumberGenerator »
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 08:04:28 pm »

Being able to leave your fort as is: As a self-sustainable fortress that expands its influence outward, would be a pretty good idea. Of course, you would have to have certain checks made to see if the fort is self-sustainable. Shouldn't be a problem, however, since the creator made world generation that follows rules of geology. It also rewards you with better equipment for your next embark, based upon the merits of your previous game.

Next up: Dwarf Fortress Trail. An epic adventure of seven dwarves' perilous journey to their new mountainhome. Experience hunting! Adventure! And uncomfortable amounts of dysentery.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 09:12:40 pm »

Being able to leave your fort as is: As a self-sustainable fortress that expands its influence outward, would be a pretty good idea. Of course, you would have to have certain checks made to see if the fort is self-sustainable. Shouldn't be a problem, however, since the creator made world generation that follows rules of geology. It also rewards you with better equipment for your next embark, based upon the merits of your previous game.

Next up: Dwarf Fortress Trail. An epic adventure of seven dwarves' perilous journey to their new mountainhome. Experience hunting! Adventure! And uncomfortable amounts of dysentery.

Urist McPioneer cancels travel: Interrupted by rattlesnake.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 09:22:47 pm »

Noticed this wasn't in the Eternal Suggestion Voting, so I made one for it under "Retire a fortress". Because I really want to do this with my current fort.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 09:48:37 pm »

Leaving behind a working fortress is something Toady has mentioned -- but it's really hard to implement.  Mysterious abandonment by all dwarves would be much easier.  There's plenty of reasons we can dream up why they'd pack up and leave, so it doesn't break up story-telling.

Personally I prefer not having to micromanage the abandonment, but it might be a way to deploy code to handle the planned expanded settlements.