Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2D in later versions?  (Read 1036 times)

jerank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
2D in later versions?
« on: September 06, 2009, 11:55:53 am »

I’ve been playing Dwarf Fortress for several months know, and I find I enjoy it a great deal for its immersive depth. Currently I’m trying out the Dig Deeper modification, but this is not the focus of the topic. While playing it I began to wonder about other possible modifications that might exist. After reading Boatmurdered, I was depressed at the bad A.I present in those early versions, but also mesmerized by the gargantuan fortresses that were possible on single map levels before 3D came about. Are there any modifications around that return the game to its 2D map style, with everything on a single vast Z-level, rather then multiple much smaller, fiddlier ones?

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
Re: 2D in later versions?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 01:28:31 pm »

Nope, this is beyond the scope of modding for roughly any game.

Angellus

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 03:19:51 pm »

I do not know about this for sure, but I feel like having a larger area size since 2d, and I'm not meaning the z-levels.

You could just ignore the z-levels and embark next to a mountain?
You will probably not have the guarantee that there will be anything worthwile in there (no magma, probably, unless you got a volcano :)) but you can always pretend  ::)

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 04:04:24 pm »

Could you be happy with the last 2d version of the game? Anyone know which one that is, cause I'd like to try it.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 06:48:00 pm »

In the 2D version you might get 500 tiles to play with for example.

In the 3D version you might get lets say 100. Now we need to multiply tiles by how many layers there are, lets say 15 Z levels. That's 1500 tiles 3x as much as the 2D version.

Oh and keep Digging Deeper  :)!
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 07:18:29 pm »

Could you be happy with the last 2d version of the game? Anyone know which one that is, cause I'd like to try it.

The last 2D release would be 23a. I just searched for it, but it is no longer listed among the older versions at the download page.. Checked DFFD too, don't see it there either.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 09:16:35 pm »

Toady mentioned in one of his podcasts that he wants to add 2D mode as a feature. He, assuming it would be simple, was going to add it as a surprise but it was far more complicated to get working so it got put on the back burner. I wouldn't hold your breath but it should be coming one day.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 10:35:04 pm »

The last 2D release would be 23a. I just searched for it, but it is no longer listed among the older versions at the download page.. Checked DFFD too, don't see it there either.

It is on the main download page. If you can't find it, here's the link:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_23_130_23a.zip
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 11:37:19 pm »

Well, at some point there will probably be a feature to let you control how many z levels get saved, with the intent of cutting back on pointless sky tiles, I don't think that it would be all that tough for that feature to get used to make a 1z map.

And playing 23d after you've played any of the 'modern' ones is pretty hard, but enjoyable.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 06:25:54 am »

Thanks! But where did you fid it on the main page? When I view it, it ends with 'DF', without version, and that is 32a.. Is it hidden?

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 07:08:59 am »

Thanks! But where did you fid it on the main page? When I view it, it ends with 'DF', without version, and that is 32a.. Is it hidden?

It appears normally to me. My guess is that the page only loaded partially for you. Try clearing the cache and refreshing the page.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 07:31:14 am »

Ahh. I'd tried refreshing a few times already, but forgot about clearing the cache.
Thanks yet again  :)

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 10:54:04 am »

I thank you for martin and maniac for this gift. As for the 2d feature I believe 23a will hold out until then.