Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Will toady outsource more programming in the future?  (Read 2186 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Will toady outsource more programming in the future?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 07:27:08 am »

IF he co-opts any ideas, it'll likely be from community suggestions more than mods.

That said, we'll have to see what the next release holds before we know what to start adding onto it.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 07:02:24 pm »

Supposedly, Antmen can civ in the next version, which is awesome beyond all imagining if true. He said something to that effect in one of the podcasts, at least.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 01:58:51 am »

As the author of Dwarf Therapist, I would imagine the next official release would take more than a week to catch all the utilities up. After all, it has about a year's worth of updates in it. While I'm getting quicker about finding array allocators etc..., if the base of the game changes too much it would wind up as a real headache to get DT back on the right track.

All that said though, I would hope that he not outsource any dev. We like the game because it's his vision. We could get 30 people to help him, and we'd get Dwarf Fortress Extreme 2009 for XBOX(tm) from Activision. Which I don't think any of us want.

I am actually just happy that he doesn't treat the util writers as dirty hacker bastards that are ruining his game. :)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 07:23:09 am »

Well said. Guys, think about all the creatures and reactions a lot of you have modded in. A week would be a tiny amount of time to redo everything in. I'm using Teldin's creaturepack, Grimdark dwarves, my own personal "English mod" and my gem/stone mod. That's going to take more than a week to remod.

Toady (armok be with him) putting things in the raws kinda negates the need for outsourcing, because we can do the stuff we like within the framework that he has provided. Do you think he ever thought we would harvest mermaids, or use chunks of goblins to make precious gems? We need no outsourcing.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 07:51:25 am »

Quite; it looks alot like the finished project will be flexible enough in the soft code to not require any haxing to do pretty much whatever you could possibly want. Keep in mind that DF is still super-early alpha and not even remotely finished yet. Most of the game is placeholder.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 01:09:29 pm »

Open source isn't really needed per se. Look at what the community did with Jagged Alliance 2 - they hacked that game's code to peices, and really improved it.

Strategy First released the source code under license with the commercial release of wildfire. There was no 'hacking' of the code. They had it available to them.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 11:29:55 am »

the best we can hope for is for him to open the source of a game with the same pathfinding system as Dwarf Fortress

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 02:39:45 pm »

I don't check the modding forums often, so I was surprised to see that my thread was still alive and kicking.  I just wanted to tell everyone that I did email Toady about my questions near the beginning of the thread, and received a surprisingly prompt response (followed by deep shame from the knowledge that I had wasted His time).

He said that his previous choice to release some of the code was because the game needed coding that was both outside of his expertise and not fun.  In contrast, things like coding a mythology generator is much more fun that sifting through code submissions of uncertain quality.  So I will have to agree with jaked:

the best we can hope for is for him to open the source of a game with the same pathfinding system as Dwarf Fortress

Even just that would still be amazing.  Catsplosions would no longer be a deadly force, and no one would have to place fearful population caps...  *sigh*

Angellus

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 02:49:40 pm »

Toady (armok be with him) putting things in the raws kinda negates the need for outsourcing, because we can do the stuff we like within the framework that he has provided. Do you think he ever thought we would harvest mermaids, or use chunks of goblins to make precious gems? We need no outsourcing.

We can harvest mermaids?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 03:31:31 pm »

We can harvest mermaids?

Where was that... aha!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25967.0
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 04:06:32 am »

wow. that would have been useful when I decided to trap and breed every creature in the underground water features. The crocodiles were what I was after, of course.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 [2]