Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Named buildings  (Read 542 times)

ToxicFrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Named buildings
« on: August 25, 2006, 08:34:00 pm »

The ability to name buildings, especially widgets such as levers, would be handy.
Especially when you have a room with four levers in it, and one's the master control lever for the hydraulic system, one floods the farms, one floods the entry halls, and one floods the entire base, and there's no way to distinguish between them.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Named buildings
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 11:06:00 pm »

"Wow, this is a really nice petard.  I think I will hoist myself upon it!"

;-)

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

ToxicFrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 12:13:00 am »

I've got a whiteboard up now mapping locations to purposes.
But named buildings would still be nice.

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 12:19:00 am »

Would be nice to have the ability to name things and then have the level say what it is linked to. But for the time being, I just put them close to the devices they operate.  :p

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 01:42:00 am »

That's often bad, though.  When you want to flood a hallway, it's often because it's filled with enemies....  and if a single door is broken and floods the nearby area, you usually don't want the lever that ends the flood to end up underwater, do you?
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One