Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Battle Stations command  (Read 775 times)

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Battle Stations command
« on: February 25, 2008, 08:12:00 am »

these new ambushes are really hard to manage, terribly hard to manage!

for my strategy i use:
1: a perimeter of chained pets to detect gobbos from, almost when they arrive in the region
2:the "soldiers can go outside" order, doesn't work so well though with the ai ive noticed
3:a fortified tower from where all my crossbows fire

even with the early warning and the order, there is no way to get all my dwarves inside, and my most valuable carpenters die to stupidity trying to chain that animal BEFORE they go inside, or those simple pathfinding misses.

My suggestion:
The Battle Stations command!
immediately makes your civilians drop all jobs, and not take any new tasks as well as head for a designated saferoom which houses food and booze (and maybe some beds, optional maybe). like military units, all civilians jobs would be on "idle" but go active again once you turn off the battle stations command

this would make battles more managable, and thus an increase of the difficulty could be made (resulting in higher amounts of epic and gore). right now my biggest issue is getting all civilians into shelter, not dealing with enemy troops. and if all civilians are inside, i get by with maybe 1-3 casualties when attacked by 12 bowmen.

een failing lately?

UltimaPhantom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Stations command
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 10:03:00 am »

This is good idea. You could zone "safe areas" with I-menu.

Seconded.

A HREF="http://techommando.blogspot.com/">http://techommando.blogspot.com/

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 10:17:00 am »

Dwarves, BATTLE STATIONS! *Bwooogaahh! Bwooooooggaaahhh!*  Epic win.  Anyway, also seconded. The dwarves stay indoors thing causes a billion job cancellations, so this would make a fine replacement.
You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 10:52:00 am »

a quick tip.

I have myself built a few tower (3x3 large inside, three storied high) and posted two marksdwarf to each tower. inside every tower I have assigned beds, a table and chair, food and drinks, 10 pairs of shoes and socks, and some ammo.

normally at least one of them is at the station, giving both early warning and some defence. lumberjacking is don in secured areas, aswell as the trip back to the fort.

I look forward t build this is a more dangerous area, since my wildlife location doesnt really give that much ofa challenge.

otherwise a good suggestions off course.

Anfold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 11:17:00 pm »

ehh... why socks?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 12:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by gurra_geban:
<STRONG>these new ambushes are really hard to manage, terribly hard to manage!</STRONG>

Quite.  Not sure what I'm going to do about it yet.

My worst ambush:

Ambush!
Snatcher! (approx 1 second delay @ 100 fps between the snatchers)
Snatcher!
Snatcher!
Theif!
Theif! (at which point the ambushers are dead/gone due to the mingling tame dogs)
Ambush!
Snatcher!
Snatcher!

That map is just innundated with gobos.  Ever ambush comes with at least one snatcher and at least two [snatcher or theif].