Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trip Hammers  (Read 972 times)

RickiusMaximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trip Hammers
« on: February 25, 2008, 07:29:00 am »

I love the new axles and water/wind wheels, I think that more and more tasks be dedicated over to or assisted by these items once your fortress gets advanced, so youir dwarfs can spend more time drinking.

It would be nice to be able to build forges that contain trip hammers- to greatly speed up the time it takes to craft metal items.

quot;A Noble would have to be very fast, very tough, have the ability to breath water, survive a fall from about 30 stories, have asbestos skin, innards made of titanium... then, and only then, would he dare to demand Adamantine items"

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Trip Hammers
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 08:36:00 am »

I say no to further specalizing buildings. We need composite custom workshops.

For example. A furnace is a furnace, but when connected to a gear assembly (specifically an assembly, not any other mechanism), it provides a minor bonus to quality and a modest bonus to speed, due to mechanisation. This furnace can be used interchangeably for glass smelting, wood burning, metal smelting, metal forging, and etc, depending on which workshop it is mastered by.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Delton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 02:14:00 pm »

I like this idea. Why not allow every workshop to be "mechanized". It would add an interesting new dynamic to fortress creation, or a lot more pump-operating tasks for lowly immigrants.

RickiusMaximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 02:55:00 pm »

Ah! I hadn't even thought of that! Rather than have even more specialized buildings it would be great to simply add mechanization to each workshop that already exists.

It could open up a whole new field of mechanics who must grease the wheels and service the machinery. Plus having to make enough power sources to cope with all the machines being used at the same time.

As for those lowly immigrants, I see a biiig hamster wheel in their future :-)

quot;A Noble would have to be very fast, very tough, have the ability to breath water, survive a fall from about 30 stories, have asbestos skin, innards made of titanium... then, and only then, would he dare to demand Adamantine items"

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 06:22:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:20:21 pm by penguinofhonor »

Anfold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 11:05:00 pm »

But if everything became mechanized, then all your products would become subpar. not to mention artifacts would pretty much disappear. after all, what could is a crappy machine made plate mail when your legendary armorer can produce masterwork goods twice as fast and without the obligatory factory accidents?  And even if it was faster, Quality>quantity.  After all, would you rather have 5 recruit marksdwarves or 2 champions?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 12:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Anfold:
<STRONG>After all, would you rather have 5 recruit marksdwarves or 2 champions?</STRONG>

I'd rather have one tame goblin machine gun!

RickiusMaximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 06:34:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Anfold:
<STRONG>But if everything became mechanized, then all your products would become subpar. not to mention artifacts would pretty much disappear. after all, what could is a crappy machine made plate mail when your legendary armorer can produce masterwork goods twice as fast and without the obligatory factory accidents?  And even if it was faster, Quality>quantity.  After all, would you rather have 5 recruit marksdwarves or 2 champions?</STRONG>

Its not like full mechanization where the whole thing is made by a machine- traditionally as a blacksmith you had an assistant who pumped the bellows and acted as a striker, which basically ment he used the hammer and the blacksmith concentrated simply on manipulating the metal.

With trip hammers being able to deliver constant accurate hammering at a much higher strength without getting fatigued and mechanical bellows being able to heat the fire even hotter than before the quality of the items created could only be improved.

Delton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 07:51:00 am »

Yeah, I like the idea that every workshop could have power directed to it, and that if it did, it simply got some bonus across the board, regardless of workshop type (like items were made faster, possibly higher quality, but speed seems most fitting). Your craftsdwarf would still level up, as usual - if not faster, because he would be working through materials faster.

Also, if you wanted him to have an assistant (especially at early stages of the game) you could just set up a screw pump or something adjacent to the workshop, and assign someone to pump it constantly. They'll skill up in otherwise useless manual labor, and you won't have to worry too much at first about running pipes throughout your whole fortress.

It would also be nice if the mechanisms did something besides move water around for a change - this suggestion would make them in high demand.

veryinky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 08:08:00 am »

Is manufacturing speed really an issue though? My dwarves churn out items faster than haulers can possibly drag off. Legendary dwarves produce enough junk that it takes a good 10 haulers each to keep their workshops clean.

Delton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 08:17:00 am »

Eventually, sure - but at first it seems like it would be nice if the mechanics in the game could help you out there... and later on maybe you want to train up another dwarf for that task who isn't as fast. *shrugs* It would just be a cool option.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 08:24:00 am »

Personally, I'm itching for the chance to set up a network of axles and gear hubs throughout my fort, so that it takes on a very mechanised appearance.  If I can do that, and actually have a use for the damn things other than turning millstones, I'm happy.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 08:40:00 pm »

I'm the same way; I want an excuse to fill my fort with moving parts.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 11:42:00 pm »

I don't like the idea of a fortress transforming into a huge factory, at least not while the infinite power bug is around, I'm not using it btw, and have a windmill array on top of the mountain, which looks pretty cool.

[ February 26, 2008: Message edited by: Digger ]

urrently digging fortress #9.

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 01:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Delton:
<STRONG>I like this idea. Why not allow every workshop to be "mechanized". It would add an interesting new dynamic to fortress creation, or a lot more pump-operating tasks for lowly immigrants.</STRONG>

This so needs to go in ....   :)

Also once its mechanized, it animates?

[ February 27, 2008: Message edited by: The-Moon ]

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes