Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Levers and grudges  (Read 3564 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Levers and grudges
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2009, 05:26:41 pm »

Just so y'all know, the game already counts the lever-puller of a hatch at the top of a death tower to be the killer of the dwarf standing on that hatch when it opens, sending the stander to his death.  I came upon this while killing an annoying mayor with a deathtower I made out of green glass.

After killing that mayor, I eventually noticed an ordinary metalworker (or some other kind of dwarf not likely to survive a combat encounter, I can't quite remember) who had a kill list.  I check it.  It lists a dwarf.  I look through the unit list to find that dead dwarf.  Sure enough, it was the legendary brewer who had previously been my mayor.  So the game was tracking that dwarf who had pulled the lever putting the mayor into circumstances that brought about his death is considered the mayor's murderer.  He was not punished, though.  I had started a thread about it awhile back.  Let me look for it real quick.

Edit: Here it is - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=31808.msg448344#msg448344

So it might just be a matter of recognizing what brought the dwarf into the situation that killed it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 05:31:54 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2009, 11:32:10 pm »

DF players will probably divide into three subgroups.

1. Players who do not commit regicide.

These will resent any FPS drop due to the responsibility tracking, and demand a way to turn it off.  They also won't find it amusing if the dwarves go into "witch-hunt" mode (prosecute a semi-random dwarf) if a noble does die and the system can't figure out why.

2. Players who do commit regicide, and want to do so easily.

These will turn off responsibility for obvious reasons.

3. Players who enjoy torturing the system.

These will turn on responsibility, but immediately find ways to mock it in each release of DF.  Only "witch-hunt" mode might slow them down.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2009, 09:10:42 am »

DF players will probably divide into three subgroups.

1. Players who do not commit regicide.

These will resent any FPS drop due to the responsibility tracking, and demand a way to turn it off.  They also won't find it amusing if the dwarves go into "witch-hunt" mode (prosecute a semi-random dwarf) if a noble does die and the system can't figure out why.

2. Players who do commit regicide, and want to do so easily.

These will turn off responsibility for obvious reasons.

3. Players who enjoy torturing the system.

These will turn on responsibility, but immediately find ways to mock it in each release of DF.  Only "witch-hunt" mode might slow them down.

You are missing the sub-group that plays the game for the immersion/experience and likes to be surprised by the world's organic internal reactions.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2009, 12:03:25 pm »

I am part of that sub-group. ;D

Although doing things like building a skyroof just to drop it on my dwarves does fall a bit into mad scientist territory.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]