Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Have wagons bypass based on last year  (Read 578 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Have wagons bypass based on last year
« on: February 24, 2008, 07:36:00 pm »

The wagons bypass if the very second the caravan approaches, the depot is inaccessible.  Instead, could we have it be based on accessibility in the previous year when the merchants *left*?  Two reasons:
(1) reasonability.  How do the merchants know whether they can get to town if no one has ever seen the town?
(2) gameplay.  I pulled up my drawbridge to keep some thieves in and dispatched them.  Now I have a dwarf with a 'pull lever' task standing two tiles from the lever, so I get no wagons.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Have wagons bypass based on last year
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 09:49:00 pm »

The problem with "just two more tiles!" is that the wagons wouldn't be able to path to your Depot.  The game can't assume the bridge will be down and have the wagons head towards you.  What happens when they reach the bridge and it still isn't down?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 09:52:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:20:11 pm by penguinofhonor »

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 10:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by penguinofhonor:
<STRONG>Maybe a "The wagons will come soon" warning so you can get your bridges down.</STRONG>

I would like this very much. Or at least, something to this effect.

It would mean I no longer have to keep all my bridges down, letting all creatures cross freely, for fear of making the wagons bypass my site.

Griz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 10:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tayrin:
<STRONG>

I would like this very much. Or at least, something to this effect.

It would mean I no longer have to keep all my bridges down, letting all creatures cross freely, for fear of making the wagons bypass my site.</STRONG>

build one bridge to block off depot access (so you can lock in the merchants when the goblins come and you don't want them to all die) and another bridge between the fort and depot.

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 11:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Griz:
<STRONG>build one bridge to block off depot access (so you can lock in the merchants when the goblins come and you don't want them to all die) and another bridge between the fort and depot.</STRONG>

I've actually already done this, but I was referring to bridges that are built further out than the depot. Of course, such bridges aren't really necessary; I was just trying to use them to keep an area of the outdoors relatively safe and free from creatures. Either that, or I could move my depot, but that might make hauling items there less efficient.

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 12:17:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by penguinofhonor:
<STRONG>Maybe a "The wagons will come soon" warning so you can get your bridges down.</STRONG>

Actually something I think would be a bit better and maybe even a bit more realistic is "You see a dust cloud in the distance."
It's probably traders but it could be siegers so you might want to take a chance on the bridge. Just an idea.

[ February 25, 2008: Message edited by: viskaslietuvai ]

The open way's too dangerous / Listen close they're watching us
One more time you're losing us / Hold still they're shooting us
First wave down / I wonder when they're coming back
First wave intact
-Secret Machines- First Wave Intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 06:59:00 am »

What would be truly nice is to have the wagons appear on the edge of the map, and starting pathing along the edge.  The liason, a merchant, and thier guards path to the fortress or depot.

Once they get there the merchant and his guards run back to the caravan.  Depending on what the state was when the merchant approached the fortress would decide how much of the caravan diverts to the fortress.

For example if your under a siege and it looks like your winning the merchant might stand around watching for a while. When they get to the meeting the liason might say something like, "That was quite the battle, we are very impressed."

If it doesn't look good then he would high tail it back to his caravan, and rather then pathing all the way accrossed the edge of the map they would turn and be gone promptly.

Toady probably has some of this planned already for the caravan arc.

"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 04:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by viskaslietuvai:
<STRONG>Actually something I think would be a bit better and maybe even a bit more realistic is "You see a dust cloud in the distance."</STRONG>
Even that would only give an hour or two of warning in real life, assuming it's dusty country. Perhaps "The traders should be arriving near this time of the year"?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Anfold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 11:12:00 pm »

How about a sentry job? Maybe requiring the use of a telescope and high ground, giving you a warning of approaching hostiles (like megabeasts and seiges, not map creatures) and making spotting ambushes easier.  the higher the skill, the greater the warning you have.