Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stupid Wall Question  (Read 973 times)

tmountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stupid Wall Question
« on: August 25, 2009, 08:24:05 am »

Sorry for this newb question, but I'm still getting the hang of some of the game mechanics. I've tried to build walls to protect outside areas on several occasions, but the same issue crops up each time. One corner of the wall always seems to be left passable, and the tile and description differs from the rest of the tiles. For instance, it might say something like, "rough hewn granite wall" for all but the last tile and just say, "wall" for the passable area.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Stupid Wall Question
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 08:55:26 am »

Was construction actually completed on the wall?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 09:46:25 am »

Look at the wall with 'q' not 'k' - it probably says construction suspended.  Your dorfs built all the other walls first and then couldn't reach the corner - even though they can pass through it, somehow they can't build through it..
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

tmountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 10:13:12 am »

Was construction actually completed on the wall?

The rest of it is definitely constructed as the tiles look like they should. I'm not sure the one corner ever got constructed, but I'm wondering why it wouldn't as dwarves regularly pass through it going in and out of the fortress. If they can pass through, wouldn't that mean they can also build there?

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 10:19:13 am »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:56:09 pm by Stany »

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 10:23:42 am »

/edit wait, what?

Ok, not sure how that happened, but to try again!

Dwarves need to ba able to stand adjacent to the tile where a wall is to be built. They can't build diagonally but they can move diagonally.

For example:

B
AX--
 |
 |

If X is your corner and | and - are already constructed walls, then the only place a dwarf can build the corner from is either A or B. Dwarves can also walk through the corner until it is finished.

Check the corner isn't suspended, and unsuspend it if it is. (Use "q" to check.)
Things can be suspended for a wide variety of reasons - dwarves might not be able to reach the right spots to actually build it, they might have been chased off by wildlife, unable to complete the task because there is an item already assigned to a task lying ni the way (eg a lump of rock), they tried but found "dangerous terrain" on route (usually flooding) or they just got bored and decided to go and have a break/nap/meal/drink. :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:40:10 am by Kazindir »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 10:26:15 am »

huh????

MAJOR mispost there, and what does EVE Online have to do with DF?

/edit wait, what?

I think you should ask yourself that, lol.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 10:41:17 am »

Dammit, that was some quick quoting there.  ;D

detinith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 11:12:50 am »

dwarf construction is a bit on the "*sigh* stupid dwarves.." side. if there is an object blocking construction, they will move all of em out of the way, but if they have to travel diagonally in order to completely move it out of the way, they give up (that's been my experience with 3x3 rooms for workshops and 1x1 rooms i sometimes try to build doors inside). with walls, they won't build it diagonally but have no problem with deconstructing it diagonally. you need to either build a temporary floor outside to support the dwarf (if you're building a tower and you aren't on the ground), have a way for the dwarf to get back in after completing the wall (if you're on the ground), or to not construct the wall immediately adjacent to the corner UNTIL you build the corner first.

all in all, it's way easier to build surrounding walls if you build the cornerstones first. but you're right, once you build enough towers and fortress walls, you'll get a knack for your diagonal-challenged dwarves.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 11:18:56 am »

Dammit, that was some quick quoting there.  ;D

Yea, you had edited it right after I posted or as I was posting.

tmountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 12:27:12 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try to coax them into completing the wall when I go home and see how it goes.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 01:14:50 pm »

Two problems - the first is that construction cannot be achieved diagonally - a dwarf needs to stand "next to" the tile they are working on to build anything with the <b, C> keys.  So, if the walls have been built into the corner, there is no access.

2nd problem (and the solution) is that constructions are done LIFO - Last In, First Out.  If you designate the important parts, and then the details, the last thing you designate will be the first they work on, and then work backwards.  If you continue to make new designations, the very first will never get addressed.

The solution is to designate the corners LAST - and then they'll get built first, and you'll only have the "square" part of the wall to worry about.

See wiki, "construction" and "tower" for more.

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 04:17:07 pm »

By the way, the way the wiki suggests building a wall is inefficient. It suggests building corners and mid-sections, then filling in the last wall next to each corner. It's better to completely designate two whole side (corners included) that oppose each other, then designate the other, shorter, two sides.

so:

Code: [Select]
+++++
+++++
+++++
+++++
+++++ Before

OOOOO
+++++
+++++
+++++
OOOOO Mid-way

OOOOO
O+++O
O+++O
O+++O
OOOOO Finished
That'll avoid corner issues with only two designations, assuming your walls are < 10 tiles long