Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Burrows  (Read 2925 times)

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Burrows
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 04:50:46 am »

I'm sure multiple people have thought of this, but this is my rough plan for burrows and the fortress entrance.

Firstly, all dwarves will be split into three groups, Military, Civilian Assistance and Citizens.  Military will be the military (duh). Civilian assistance will be those dwarves who need to access the entrance are - engineers to clean the traps and worthless soap-makers to haul the goblin-socks.  And Citizens will be all the lucky folk who have no business ever stopping in the blood, vomit and gore soaked entranceway. 

In times of trouble, the Civilian Assistance dwarves can be removed from the entrance area access list - I'm hoping there's an easy way to do that without redefining burrow boundaries.  That way, nobody will rush out to clean traps or grab socks while the seige is still in progress, and when the siege is over you can let expendables out to clean things up without disrupting the workflow of your more valauble dwarves in the sock-rush or exposing valuable dwarves to the possibility of another ambush.

The other citizens can all path *through* the burrow to get outside assuming they have need for that (Probably make another Outside burrow defined for the brave topside-going folk).  But they won't take jobs in there.

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 06:26:51 am »

In times of trouble, the Civilian Assistance dwarves can be removed from the entrance area access list - I'm hoping there's an easy way to do that without redefining burrow boundaries.
Based on the information available, it sounds like you'll simply be able to remove their access from the 'entryway' burrow / ground level and they should stay indoors without having to use the 'Dwarves Stay Inside' nonsense.
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 05:02:27 pm »

Oh snap, I just realized this means I can differentiate my builder-masons and my furniture-masons.  Bitchin'.  This means pretty much every peasant is getting Mason now.

The hunter/fisher lodge someone mentioned is a sweet idea.  I've been tempted to do something like that myself, but its pretty wonky right now.  I bet we can even establish explicit hunting grounds, so they don't go wandering (or at least will try to choose targets in that burrow first).  Probably have to have a few physicians on hand for the hunters, too.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 06:30:46 am »

It sounds like this feature will greatly reduce the population required in order to consider working with perishables. Designate a "perishables" burrow containing the butcher's shop, the tannery, the fishery, the kitchen, and any associated stockpiles, and when there are perishables to be processed or hauled, simply restrict the dwarves with the relevant skills to the perishables burrow; they won't be distracted by seeds that need to be cleared from dining tables.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 09:11:33 am »

I currently play fortresses for greater time periods than most people, it seems, and I like to think of my dwarves in a clan-like society.  With the naming conventions the way they are, I have to manually enter names, but it does make it easier to recognize who's who in the fortress.  The only other thing I do is to arrange burial rooms for the entire family as soon as a member dies (father, mother, children), but burrows may make it easier for clans and families to actually live together instead of just die together.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 12:40:20 pm »

But if I remember correctly, Haulers can't be restriced to burrows, right ?

If so, then burrows are incomplete. Haulers are the blood of a fortress, so your nice masons burrow with a team of masons working 24/7 will soon clutter to a halt if you can't assign them a team of haulers and rely on a general squad of haulers who are already working on the carpenters or smiths burrows.
Likewise, if you plan on building several mini-cities but can't force haulers to bring food or booze from the farm area to the remote cities better than in the current version (for anyone who tested it, this is horrible), your dwarves will still have to travel all the way to the farm stockpiles, then return to their city in order to eat in their assigned dining room.

TL;DR : Burrows will be rather unpractical if you can't assign any haulers to them.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 02:15:08 pm »

But if I remember correctly, Haulers can't be restriced to burrows, right ?

If so, then burrows are incomplete. Haulers are the blood of a fortress, so your nice masons burrow with a team of masons working 24/7 will soon clutter to a halt if you can't assign them a team of haulers and rely on a general squad of haulers who are already working on the carpenters or smiths burrows.
Likewise, if you plan on building several mini-cities but can't force haulers to bring food or booze from the farm area to the remote cities better than in the current version (for anyone who tested it, this is horrible), your dwarves will still have to travel all the way to the farm stockpiles, then return to their city in order to eat in their assigned dining room.

TL;DR : Burrows will be rather unpractical if you can't assign any haulers to them.

It good thing, they can be applied to all dorfs then, and it restricts where they work.

As in haulers in burrowA will haul only items in burrowA (assuming they have the proper hauling job turned on.)

I think the forum will get flooded with questions of why they aren't hauling XX. We have to make sure that the haulers have access to stockpiles.

That shouldnt be a much trouble, since dorf can belong to more then one burrow and burrow can overlap.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 02:17:31 pm »

The first fort I make will be very "scattered" but aesthetically designed. I want to have each shop section have it's own set of devoted workers, each with their own small supply stockpiles, dining rooms, dormitories, kitchens, farms, etc.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 03:47:15 pm »

As in haulers in burrowA will haul only items in burrowA (assuming they have the proper hauling job turned on.)

That's exactly what I want to do : reread my example with the masons burrows. If you can't assign haulers to a specific burrow, they'll all work approximately in the same place, following their strange logic, thus making it hard to correctly transport things in and from/to a specific place.

For instance, if you wanted to haul food from the farmers burrow to, say, the mechanics one, which is at the other end of the map near a dam or something, you'll just have to assign a hauler to the mechs burrow and to a sub-burrow which only include the food stockpiles.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 08:04:57 pm »

That's exactly what I want to do : reread my example with the masons burrows. If you can't assign haulers to a specific burrow, they'll all work approximately in the same place, following their strange logic, thus making it hard to correctly transport things in and from/to a specific place.

For instance, if you wanted to haul food from the farmers burrow to, say, the mechanics one, which is at the other end of the map near a dam or something, you'll just have to assign a hauler to the mechs burrow and to a sub-burrow which only include the food stockpiles.

Possible, or from my understanding the dev log, you could also make a new sub burrow altogether that includes mech food stock pile and the farms.

I think the dorf will still be able to wonder around on non-burrow marked area, so I dont think the entire area has to be makred.

We'll now lots more when the next release happen and we can get our hand dirty.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 08:26:29 pm »

I'm going to use burrows to make better, uh, Noble . . . Recreation Areas.  Yeah.  Recreation.  It should keep them occupied for the rest of their lives.  Their, horribly, horribly shortened lives.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 10:06:43 pm »

I would only create burrows for deep mining jobs. Everything else isn't too much hard work to get back to base for, but when I stripmine I want my miners working 100% of the day.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 [2]