Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: interesting idea  (Read 1769 times)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: interesting idea
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 07:00:00 pm »

But it won't be done, which is why clamoring for it is useless.   And kinda annoying, since Toady's said many times it's not one of his goals, and it won't be.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 07:13:00 pm »

quote:
But it won't be done, which is why clamoring for it is useless. And kinda annoying, since Toady's said many times it's not one of his goals, and it won't be.  

isn't a suggestion board a place where you can suggest changes? if you think a thread is annoying, dont read it.

een failing lately?

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 08:31:00 pm »

Usually they aren't genre-redefining changes.

Like going to an rts board and saying "hey this is kool but wudnt it be much betr as a fps??"

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 08:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Red Jackard:
<STRONG>Usually they aren't genre-redefining changes.

Like going to an rts board and saying "hey this is kool but wudnt it be much betr as a fps??"</STRONG>

But...isn't that what happened to Halo?

[ February 25, 2008: Message edited by: Guy ]

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 08:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by gurra_geban:
<STRONG>

isn't a suggestion board a place where you can suggest changes? if you think a thread is annoying, dont read it.</STRONG>

Yeah, but it's generally frowned upon to keep suggesting the same thing that Toady has said many times he doesn't want to do.   I mean, common courtesy and manners and such dictate one should just let the issue drop.  If you think DF would be better as an MMO; don't play it.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 09:56:00 pm »

quote:
If you think DF would be better as an MMO; don't play it.  

i will play it, why shouldnt i? the point of having a suggestions forum is for ppl to express their ideas. if Toady simply doesnt want to do a multiplayer feature he wont take heed to this thread, right?
this place is for ppl to post suggestions. if someone are to whine at them, it would be Toady and not you

een failing lately?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 10:35:00 pm »

Oh, okay.   You say suggestions forums are for people to express their ideas, but more or less say if I don't agree I should shut up.   Radical, dude.

Anyways, multiplayer DF would be ridiculously unfeasible to work out unless you completely gutted many of the core features.   Getting two or more computers to synch up on the ridiculous amount of processing going on with flows, pathfinding, and all that, would be havoc.   Combine this with the lack of pausing, and other things, it becomes a complete nightmare to even contemplate how to get even a barebones DF-lite running multiplayer.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 11:10:00 pm »

if you read my original post then you would have understood that i didnt even want to gut pausing, neither to synch computers. but this doesn't matter, as if it were to implemented it would be an OPTIONAL feature of course, so i cant see why you are whining at an idea which wouldn't even affect you or your style of gaming.

i dont want DF to turn into wow, i just wanna trade and invade other people who likes player to player interactive gaming.

een failing lately?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 11:27:00 pm »

If the computers weren't synched then you wouldn't be playing with other people, as you would not be synched up.   Hence why I brought it up.  

I'm not whining because I don't like the idea- nor am I trying to defend my 'style of gaming'; I'm calmly pointing out why the idea wouldn't be feasible (on top of Toady himself saying he doesn't want to do it).  Stop trying to paint my rational, expressive discourse as negativity and 'whining'.  

But this thread is not worth putting any amount of serious thought into, since multiplayer DF is not gonna happen.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2008, 11:30:00 pm »

yeah yeah whatever

dabate on the internet will always be aimlessly beating your head against a wall ^^

een failing lately?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2008, 11:32:00 pm »

No way it's expressing ideas.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2008, 11:59:00 pm »

This is directed at gurra_geban and not jayfrin:

If you've been around the forums any length of time, this sort of suggestion is akin to posting this in Future of the Fortress.

Listen to Capntastic, he has the right of things.

[ February 26, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 02:59:00 am »

Hi!

If you do not synchronize gameplay, how do you want to have a common world? I mean there are seasons, civilization developments, all kinds of things that change over time. In other words, if you do not synchronize, one fortress would get ahead several years while another just moves one season. And both fortresses have trade relations!? And then the slow one gets abandoned after a year - even though it did trade with the other fortress for several years?

If you just want a shared world, then any normal save file would do once fortresses can ben left to computer control without abandoning them.

Otherwise, I do not see what you are aiming at.

Deathworks

Pages: 1 [2]