Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: tile improvement: Tiles!  (Read 1088 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: tile improvement: Tiles!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 06:09:00 pm »

to the original point of the topic, this can already be done with bridges.  you can build them on top of floor and engraving, and can make them out of neigh any material.

not silk, perhaps.  but any bar, block, or log.

some of the cooler forts (copperblazes with its giant axe, and whatsitscalled with its giant phoenix) viewable on the DF map archive already do this on a larger scale.

of course, you can only do this to empty floor space.  you cant detail a floor, put a bridge on it, and then put a cabinet on it.  but you can put a lovely colored metal or glass bridge on any spot where you dont have furniture.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 06:55:00 pm »

Thread of precious metal would be excellent.  I don't have a lot of first-hand experience but I recall reading Adamantium could be turned into thread.  While gold thread trousers may not be a possibility, certainly decorating with the metal threads could.  And a cave spider silk carpet dyed midnight blue with dimple dye and sewn with images of stars in gold and waves in platinum would be pretty awesome.  And trade is scheduled for expansion, a beast like that would make caravan merchant worldwide drool.

The bridge trick is pretty neat, I haven't observed many other forts and don't undertake large scale "graphics" projects of my own, but I do like alternating 2x wide bridges of clear glass and gold over a section of the river or chasm.  While the original poster's idea of "tiling" floors and walls in a material would open up much new gameplay, tiling your favorite Mason's room in moonstone, or the Baron's room in alternating bronze and platinum.  And possibly engraving onto that tiling.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 03:06:00 am »

The bridge method works, the only problem with it is that it takes so damn long with a flakey architect and you need one whole block per square.

Btw thats not quite the way adamantine works but you can read up on it here if you do not mind the spoilers. http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Adamantine

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?
Pages: 1 [2]