Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Discussion and Sharing  (Read 614 times)

RaSchumann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World Discussion and Sharing
« on: November 17, 2007, 05:53:00 pm »

This is a forum suggestion, mainly from what I've observed just today.

There are so many different possibilities with world generation that I think it would be a good idea to create a separate topic just for world generation and starting positions.

Each world would have its own thread, including the values used for generation. The rest of the thread could be used for discussion of different things people noticed about that world and anything interesting they discovered and good starting positions, maybe even how their fortress fared at a specific location.

People could notice oddities, such as 2000+ reject worlds, or 0 reject worlds, or worlds with an abundance of a rare feature. This  could also be used to create competitions in different situations, and with the stricter rules, keep it quite organized.

This would alleviate some random clutter popping up everywhere, and I believe is worth at least a shot. Just a single thread would be too little, you would end up with multiple discussions popping up everywhere. Additionally, I think world generation covers an area that needs to be beyond nearly all parts of the game.

The other side for this, is it would require management, and might not be a big enough field to warrant its own part of the forum.

This should be a group discussion and consensus, with the dwarf gods having the final word, and as I'm pretty new to this, I think it should not be my choice to change the way things work around here, I'm just presenting an idea, nor do I want to become some sort of servant for dwarven gods either.

If this has been gone over before or is stated in some rule I didn't read. Feel free to ignore this, because with the universe being infinitely big and all, and me knowing only a finite amount, I could be considered quite an idiot. I'm sorry if I just wasted your time.