Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Getting ride of a spine-injured soldier ?  (Read 1878 times)

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting ride of a spine-injured soldier ?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 03:49:49 pm »

Question: if you place a throne next to their bed, designate it as an office large enough to include said bed, and then give them a job as a Manager or Clerk, will they be able to do it even if bedridden?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 04:53:15 pm »

They'll need to be using the throne, so probably not.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 05:27:15 pm »

Just lock the door, they'll starve to death.

It's like euthanasia, only meaner.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 06:39:23 pm »

omfg that actually made me break out laughing,
Just lock the door, they'll starve to death.

It's like euthanasia, only meaner.
Nom nom nom

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 07:00:20 pm »

"There are ways... to cure spinal injuries."

"How does one learn these ways?"

"Not from a Jedi staunch vanilla DF player."

Spoiler: Cheating! (click to show/hide)

I'm sure I mangled the Star Wars quote, but since it's from Episode III, I don't think anybody cares.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 07:59:55 pm »

Locking them in would be most effective, but come on, have a heart! I have a dwarf with a yellow spine injury and he has had it for over 5 years. I never expect him to recover. I assigned him to the Royal Guard so that he can soothe worried nobles. Putting him in the fortress guard seems nice but I imagine if he was tasked to arrest and lock up a dangerous dwarf he would never get around to doing it and the dwarf could roam my fortress unpunished. If you're really bloodthirsty you could capture a zombie animal and put it in his room, or if his room is only 1 tile you could drop a gobbo in and I expect he would fight in self defense.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 07:14:04 am »

i had a similar problem, 'cept it was a swordsdwarf who lost his entire left arm (his sword arm)
He is currently lying in bed in full plate with a shield in his right hand.
I don't understand why he doesn't just walk around, his legs working fine and all.

I honestly think he believes his arm will grow back if he sleeps it off enough.

Angellus

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 07:25:11 am »

Never tried it myself, but I always thought it would be cool to first magma the guy, then pour water over, then mine it out and use the stone to create a statue (or a carp idol if you use dig deeper :D)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 08:47:42 am »

Han solo.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 01:12:15 pm »

That's my collected knowledge on how to cheat to heal dwarves without using a utility.

I sense a great disturbance in the code, as if millions of vanilla players were crying out... the raws are strong in this one...

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 03:50:08 pm »

"He could even keep the ones he loved from being bedridden"

"Is it possible to learn this power?"

"Not from a Jedi staunch vanilla DF player."

Spoiler: Cheating! (click to show/hide)

I'm sure I mangled the Star Wars quote, but since it's from Episode III, I don't think anybody cares.

I care D:

Mostly fixed.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 04:02:55 pm »

turn his bedroom into a spike pit. a spike pit filled with magma and carp.

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2009, 07:20:51 pm »

How about locking him in a 1x1 room WITH a door(so you can use it again)and channel out to floor and replace it with a grate.Make a pool or something below,and use it as a stasis.There's mist which will make dwarfs happy whenever they visit him,Water thats right around him.Food can't really be that far away so....A visit to the dwarven zoo?

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2009, 09:37:16 pm »

Albedo, Groovester, you guys just made my day with those awesome star wars quotes. Thank you!
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2009, 09:30:16 pm »

I got two hammerdwarves with broken spines in one siege, funnily enough I also needed some royal guards! I also had a marksdwarf who got shot in the damned head during the same siege and lost both eyes and took brain damage. Another fortress guard!

I had 3 at that point but my dutchess was getting quite crass at this point and started mandating the construction of items I had no way to complete (including wolf bone items, too bad THERE ARE NO WOLVES ON THE MAP) and killed my legendary bone carver (who was responsible for over 5,000,000 of my fortress wealth) by jailing her, which sent her already unhappy miasma laden life into a downward spiral, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't make her happy again, even gave her a room full of bauxite block floors and a red spiniel encrusted bauxite statue, all bauxite furniture and a giant cave spider silk rope with a cat on it (her favorite things were bauxite, red spiniel, and cats) and she just couldn't handle it so she threw herself into a pool and drowned.

The worst part is I had that fairly large ridiculously red room with a personal craftsdwarf workshop (also made of bauxite) and not a single one of my good dwarves has the same tastes! Figures, she had no friends or family either.
Pages: 1 [2]