Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: An MMO...  (Read 10291 times)

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
Re: An MMO...
« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2009, 04:54:04 pm »

Hah, I actually want to make an MMO or two someday...

My idea of what I would consider a perfect MMO would be as follows. First of all, there would be no levels or classes. Instead, the player could learn pretty much anything through time and effort, and develop their own class name or title. Second, the character would be able to age within game over a certain period of time, would have to eat right, get a part-time job between adventures, and possibly even if they were kids or teens, go to school on a regular basis.

The PCs could also establish relationships with NPCs up to a certain point, and if they wanted to, they could establish a small party with their main character and their alts, which would act upon an AI determined by choices made in the character generation process. You could also form relationships with your alts father than that of the NPCs. The alts of course, would have their own lives, jobs, goals and such, and the main would have to take those into consideration.

Randomly generated dungeons that vary in difficulty compared to both menu options and a player's general skills would also be available, but they would be accessible only by things like a portal, a pier, airship whatever...

In regards to the alts, they would function the same in aging, diet, and other things as well, and eventually, characters could retire after a certain point, or even reincarnate into a new character with a few of the best skills intact. Optionally, a PC and an alt could have an heir, and the heir could take over after a certain point, decidable by the player.

A housing system, along with many other features, like custom outfits, custom weapons, and even custom spells would be available too.

Finally, the entire storyline would be quintessentially roleplayed by the players themselves, though a background of the world would be available. There could be a different story going on in each server even.

These are just a few ideas I have for what I would call a perfect MMO. I have many, many more.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2009, 05:10:37 pm »

A while back, for a game competition, I was working on a simple multiplayer game that I wanted to eventually make slightly massive and persistent...so I guess MMOish.  It was kind of a starship version of Puzzle Pirates, complete with walking around your ship in 3d.

Monday night, a friend got me to try the Star Wars Galaxies free trial, and I was quite put out to discover that they had already done exactly what I wanted to do with starships--walking around inside them, having plasma leaks and having to fix them, manning turrets, etc.  They even implemented things in the same shoddy way I was planning to do it!  How disappointing.

...Except their system was very simple and action-based, whereas mine was going to use Puzzle Pirates style puzzles, so I guess I still like my idea better...  I should finish up that game.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2009, 07:41:18 pm »

The crafting puzzle that ATITD had might work, if you can save "templates" of solutions. Your crafting skill would then determine how much deviation from the solution there was. As your crafting skill increases, your number of hammer-strokes could increase, too, for some items. And then you could be allowed into a free-form crafting exercise, choosing your starting block or whatever, then crafting that.

Stuff such as tempering and hardening would be interesting to implement this way. Also folding and hammering blades, designing armor, assembly, repurposing or refitting certain items, and more.

Masters could give apprentices their "templates" through some mechanic a lot like crafting.

A quick note: Apprentices would be given room and board free, and be taught basic crafting through menial tasks, from buffing to filing to making simple parts. Journeymen would be given a decent wage, and entrusted with supervision of Apprentices and making more complex parts. The Master would be the business owner, the fount of knowledge, and generally the one responsible for all of it. The only way this system could be feasible is if room and board is a necessity, one that you'd have to pay for.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 02, 2009, 01:30:34 pm »

Don't think there is any.  Some constructions are still just "gather resources, click button, receive bacon".  And there's no combat, so no armor, and clothes are not crafted.  It's a long ways off from the ideal MMO bandied about here, but it has some good ideas if you like crafting to be meaningfully difficult.
The hammer game just seems like a hard mechanic to come up with other ideas for and blacksmithing won't be the only equipment production profession so there'd have to be something else for those ones.

Hah, I actually want to make an MMO or two someday...

My idea of what I would consider a perfect MMO would be as follows. First of all, there would be no levels or classes. Instead, the player could learn pretty much anything through time and effort, and develop their own class name or title. Second, the character would be able to age within game over a certain period of time, would have to eat right, get a part-time job between adventures, and possibly even if they were kids or teens, go to school on a regular basis.

The PCs could also establish relationships with NPCs up to a certain point, and if they wanted to, they could establish a small party with their main character and their alts, which would act upon an AI determined by choices made in the character generation process. You could also form relationships with your alts father than that of the NPCs. The alts of course, would have their own lives, jobs, goals and such, and the main would have to take those into consideration.

Randomly generated dungeons that vary in difficulty compared to both menu options and a player's general skills would also be available, but they would be accessible only by things like a portal, a pier, airship whatever...

In regards to the alts, they would function the same in aging, diet, and other things as well, and eventually, characters could retire after a certain point, or even reincarnate into a new character with a few of the best skills intact. Optionally, a PC and an alt could have an heir, and the heir could take over after a certain point, decidable by the player.

A housing system, along with many other features, like custom outfits, custom weapons, and even custom spells would be available too.

Finally, the entire storyline would be quintessentially roleplayed by the players themselves, though a background of the world would be available. There could be a different story going on in each server even.

These are just a few ideas I have for what I would call a perfect MMO. I have many, many more.
That's a nice roleplay setting but is there anything for other players?

The crafting puzzle that ATITD had might work, if you can save "templates" of solutions. Your crafting skill would then determine how much deviation from the solution there was. As your crafting skill increases, your number of hammer-strokes could increase, too, for some items. And then you could be allowed into a free-form crafting exercise, choosing your starting block or whatever, then crafting that.

Stuff such as tempering and hardening would be interesting to implement this way. Also folding and hammering blades, designing armor, assembly, repurposing or refitting certain items, and more.

Masters could give apprentices their "templates" through some mechanic a lot like crafting.

A quick note: Apprentices would be given room and board free, and be taught basic crafting through menial tasks, from buffing to filing to making simple parts. Journeymen would be given a decent wage, and entrusted with supervision of Apprentices and making more complex parts. The Master would be the business owner, the fount of knowledge, and generally the one responsible for all of it. The only way this system could be feasible is if room and board is a necessity, one that you'd have to pay for.
It would also take things like the removal of the "one expert can easily make gear for a hundred players" mechanic we see in most games.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2009, 08:26:41 am »

Wow, this thread lasted a while after my departure (I only come here once or twice a month for Development Updates).

but, yeah, MyWorld is so demanding that we need to wait for the next version of the Engine to be released (Solar Eclipse), which is expected to be released this year.

Until then, we are making a Territory-War / Medieval-2-mmo sort of game to hone our skills.

Link: MyConqueror
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]