Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Various Suggestions: 3d Buildings, Failure, and stuff  (Read 1104 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Various Suggestions: 3d Buildings, Failure, and stuff
« on: September 15, 2009, 02:24:42 pm »

Well going further on my theme of: Things that are boring to everyone but myself but are hopefully helpful to Toady.

I really should have worked harder on them to make them more attractive.

Anyhow so here are a bunch of suggestions, feel free to add to them or comment.

3d Building Templates

So as you know you cannot build something that is unsupported by walls or something else. As well often constructing multilevel constructions require you to build temporary stairs. This isn't too much of a problem now but could become much more aggrivating with creatures who live above ground.

Instead some simple buildings should be available for construction simply by placing them down. They are constructed in a similar way to other buildings rather then custom buildings.

-3x3 House
-5x5 Store
-Apartment complex
-Temple
-Castle

Failure Reactions

No, I am not suggesting that Toady include these in vanilla but rather he support them for Modders. The modder adds the chance per skill rating for a failure as well what the failure entails. He can even include multiple kinds of failures or even include multiple effects of a single failure.
Note: Don't attack these based on their names

-[Damage]: The modder effectively writes an attack that will befall the worker.
-[Create Object]: Instead a different object is made
-[Nothing]: Nothing is made.
-[Lose material 1/0]: Is the material lost?
-[Explosion]: This could be done with "Create object" but I thought it could go here as well.

Friendship between Friend and Best Friend

For some people they collect friends like Candy. Though the question is how far will they go for these friends. Yes I know you and sure I'd personally invite you to a party but I wouldn't write you a loan.

This suggestion is to include something between Friend and Best Friend. There are two methods:
-Friendly, Friend, Close Friend/Best Friend
-Friend, Good Friend, Best Friend

Goodness I KNOW I am spelling Friend wrong somehow... It looks wrong but I cannot see how.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Various Suggestions: 3d Buildings, Failure, and stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 02:30:27 pm »

Nice...

3d Building Templates
Some of that might be resolved with 'dwarves automatically build scaffolding where needed', don't you think?  (Actually, that would be bad ass)

Failure Reactions
I'm pro something like this...

Friendship between Friend and Best Friend
I almost see the skill value system being used here.  (Who knows, it probably is)
I.E. lots of gradations with behind the scenes modifiers and a large integer value.

May not even tell the player what the value is (label multiple states the same)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 02:33:06 pm »

As for what you said about 3d building Granite, I thought about it a bit.

I didn't include a secondary reason in here for some reason.

That is that it could take a very long time to include housing for an above ground civilisation if you need to do it manually.

A 3d Template mixed in with the "Build scaffolding where needed" would be awsome! especially for wall construction.

As for Friendship: It would be interesting to see the names only being indications of how the character defines his relationship with someone and outside of that is actually a lot of values based on their oppinions as well as what sort of leans they have towards that character.

So a super negative person may see himself as having no friends but if you opened up his friendship list (assuming that was allowed) you may see that he is willing to die for one person and seeks his company at all times.

The Leans shouldn't all be in the same areas though.

Uhh maybe I am complicating it enough to make a seperate topic about it later... hmmm
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 02:39:47 pm by Neonivek »

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 02:55:59 pm »

above ground buildings only take as long as the dwarves need to build it. Especially in the example of a apartment complex, using the u/k expansion keys its very easy to make large structures.

Step 1: ground floor walls, takes the same time as a below ground mining designation with an extra step for materials. As its above ground you should have made a nearby stockpile and can take advantage of the "use material for all" option under rock selection.

Step 2: 2nd floor, if you did your ground floor correctly (assuming low cost 1x2 or 1x3 rooms with a single lane connecting hall, then you can designate the entire 2nd floor in one selection.

Step 3: repeat walls and floor as nessesary

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 02:56:49 pm »

Yes but I like the one step program

Step 1: Place Building

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 02:59:08 pm »

I'm of the opinion that templates are just as necessary for above ground buildings as they are for below ground cave rooms

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 03:10:44 pm »

I'm of the opinion that templates are just as necessary for above ground buildings as they are for below ground cave rooms

Sort of. Underground (assuming your not going 3d) you can get away from templates by allowing certain designs. Like allowing a shapable Box for Walls.

Though yes Templates would be nice for the underground if they included other objects. The ability to just go "Alright this is a 3x3 bedroom" and it assigning all the required furnature would be great.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 04:01:32 pm »

There's a thought... Box of walls rather than a line, and change the rectangle building object to be more similar to the room floodfill for floors.

Select Walls-Box-Marble, click lower left, click lower right, BAM rectangle of walls.

Select Floor-Flood Wood, click area, + + + fills the room, BAM flooring of irregular shaped rooms.

I think the real strength of templates will be in designing for NPC cities, unless we want our NPC cities to be intelligently designed and indestinguishable from the PC cities (and totally inaccesible due to the lag of the game simulating 300 real cities in realtime)

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 05:00:27 pm »

yet another plug for my template thread: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39304.0
a lot of those sugestions were coverd there.

also, i like the idea to be able to give modders a failure option for reactions. i would never use it myself, but the option to do so would be neat.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 06:34:45 pm »

There's a thought... Box of walls rather than a line, and change the rectangle building object to be more similar to the room floodfill for floors.

Select Walls-Box-Marble, click lower left, click lower right, BAM rectangle of walls.

Select Floor-Flood Wood, click area, + + + fills the room, BAM flooring of irregular shaped rooms.
It could be an attribute of a room: furnish this room with wooden floorboards, two cabinets, a chest, and a masterwork bed. If anything happened to the elements of a room, the inhabitants of the city would automatically replace it with new material.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 07:15:20 pm »

It could be an attribute of a room: furnish this room with wooden floorboards, two cabinets, a chest, and a masterwork bed. If anything happened to the elements of a room, the inhabitants of the city would automatically replace it with new material.

Changing the area spread for walls to form a box rather than a block (who on earth would build a block?) sounds like a great idea that wouldn't interfere with much.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!