Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Instant job title changes  (Read 1146 times)

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Instant job title changes
« on: August 20, 2009, 01:23:27 pm »

I searched through the suggestions topics but didn't see anything like this shown, so I thought I might bring it up

Instead of changing job titles when a dwarf becomes skilled in it, why not change it when they are assigned to do that job? That way, when you get 20 new dwarves and switch them all to just do more important jobs, they appear as peasants, miners, and craftsdwarves instead of soapmakers or herbalists (they would stay with those job titles for a season or two how they are now.)

It could be an option, of course, but I think this would make management later on a lot more convenient.  With large numbers of dwarves, keeping track of how many dwarves are on a job is usually more important than the skill of those dwarves.  Skill will always end up rising after they work, so it isn't necessary to be reminded of.  I end up having to type in the jobs for most of the dwarves in each swarm of migrants anyway because it irritates me to see their jobs listed falsely when I count how many are on each task.  Haulers are especially irritating, because they never change from their original job description.

Anyways, it might just be me that sees this as a problem, but I'd like your opinions on the idea.  It'd be easy to implement and is mostly just a cosmetic issue, but I'd sure appreciate it.   :D

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Instant job title changes
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 01:32:34 pm »

It can get very annoying, but that's what custom jobs are for. listing them by new job wouldn't help, because you might give them 12 or 13 jobs, which one would it pick?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 01:44:10 pm »

It can get very annoying, but that's what custom jobs are for. listing them by new job wouldn't help, because you might give them 12 or 13 jobs, which one would it pick?

I thought it already did that though... I may be wrong but doesn't it make:
Code: [Select]
Woodcrafting selected => Woodcrafter
Carpentry selected => Carpenter
Both selected => Woodworker

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 01:48:01 pm »

It changes them once they receive enough talent in the relevant skill.  Which often takes forever, especially if you are like me and give up on managing > 20 dwarves.

Yes, I would like to see either that or stronger control over custom professions (instead of assigning them the name and jobs individually, define a custom profession and then assign that to any number of dwarves.  It strikes me as something that would complement the new burrows very well.).
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 01:55:49 pm »

It changes them once they receive enough talent in the relevant skill.  Which often takes forever, especially if you are like me and give up on managing > 20 dwarves.

Yes, I would like to see either that or stronger control over custom professions (instead of assigning them the name and jobs individually, define a custom profession and then assign that to any number of dwarves.  It strikes me as something that would complement the new burrows very well.).

I agree with your alternate suggestion, it would be a way to circumvent the problem entirely.  My idea is just meant to be a way to patch up the current system to be a little more user friendly, while being quick and easy to implement.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 02:26:41 pm »

what we really need is a dorf manager. something that would give us listings of all the jobs enable on all dorfs. this has been asked for before, and dorf foreman appears to do the trick in the interim. we just need that functionality built in.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 03:05:18 pm »

Also, it would be nice to be able to customize dwarf colors.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 03:11:24 pm »

Fuschia dammit, fuschia!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 03:42:46 pm »

Lol to that!
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 10:32:49 pm »

Quote from: Rowanas
Fuschia dammit, fuschia!
I don't get it. Is that an internet-meme of some kind?

What I meant is that while we can change a dwarf's profession name, he or she retains his profession's original color. And in the units list they are still grouped by their "actual" professions (by color), not customized ones.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 06:51:12 am »

It's not a meme, it was just a quick joke based upon the fact that if we could change dwarf colours, fuschia is one of the very undwarvenly and generally horrible colours that no-one would pick.