Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: House Rules  (Read 2674 times)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: House Rules
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 11:53:50 am »

An interesting set of rules I've been trying out recently:
 Leave them in your debt.

This is bitching. You should come up with more scenarios and rules.

Nono, this is pretty awesome, and makes dealing with these features more plausible/challenging. It is in fact, a scenario.

More are good, which is what I think this thread is for.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 12:09:09 pm »

>.>

Bitchin' = awesome

<.<

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 01:27:09 pm »

An interesting set of rules I've been trying out recently:
 Leave them in your debt.

This is bitching. You should come up with more scenarios and rules.

Nono, this is pretty awesome, and makes dealing with these features more plausible/challenging. It is in fact, a scenario.

More are good, which is what I think this thread is for.

Bitching is a compliment.

There are several uses for the word "bitch" and it's variation, but for future reference...

Bitchin' : Adjective. A compliment regarding radness level "That +cat leather sock+ is bitchin'" Definition 2 : Verb. To wine, complain, or talk too much. "Quit your bitchin and get back to work."

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 02:44:56 pm »

Isn't a bitch a female dog also? ::)
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 05:19:28 pm »

Isn't a bitch a female dog also? ::)

Yes, but in that case, bitchin' is probably illegal.

Back on-topic, I don't use many house rules, although I try to limit myself to no more than 33 immigrants. Further population must come from offspring of residents. It means that every dwarf lost in battle or in an accident is a true loss. Currently have 43 dwarves, 11 of which are children. I've lost about 10 (total) to strange moods, ambushes and accidents.

Oh, also, permanently maintain a fully functioning military of at least 20% of the total population; all legendary in everything they can be (unless they pick up an artifact, in which case, they're stuck with that).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 11:30:20 pm by FlamingCow »

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 01:12:00 pm »

I was just arguing with someone (over a game of scrabble) about the problems with slang ;P

Guess its time I move into the old (internet) folks home now.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 06:16:04 pm »

-each pheasant is hooked up with a very nice room, even if there an idling peice of carp.
-nobles are protected at all costs......nah they dont get any protection what so ever, there rooms are on the first level right next to the death entrance so incoming seiges kill them say hi to them.
-beer is made every second of the day
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 06:44:30 pm »

Peasants, not pheasants.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 06:19:18 am »

Custom reactions to prospect metal from ordinary rock are okay. After all, dwarves are supposed to be master metalworkers.

All custom reactions must require fuel or otherwise have a tradeoff, such as massive amounts of hauling or huge inefficiencies. Keeps the peasants busy!

Everyone does every task. (Farming, masonry, carpentry, weaving, mining, etc.)

Only metalworkers, jewelers, and mechanics are allowed to be specialized to individual dwarves.

The first dwarven caravan I will steal. This is a "donation" to get the new fortress off the ground. No other caravans will be stolen from. Except for elves. Elves don't count.

Every dwarf will have an individual room.

Every noble will have a custom room, made out of their favored materials.

Demands will be ignored, royal guards will be double usual compliment, there will be no regular guards.

Nobles will be the only ones allowed to engrave the fortress.

The entire fortress must be engraved and decorated.

All armor, weapons, crafts, and items used by important dwarves will be decorated with multiple things.

Population cap of 100, the rest of the dwarves will grow up in the fortress as natives.

Every dwarf will have a tomb, even if the tomb is empty.

No traps except to guard rarely used tunnels or to catch wild animals for taming and breeding.

Elaborate death machines are okay as long as they are operated entirely by levers. No automation!

Lesconrads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 02:27:17 pm »

House rules... because you have to make DF difficult ^^
1) Only one weapon is allowed in each trap.
2) I don't spam traps - at the moment I have 15 total. And that's in 3 wide hallways and placed before my armory.
3) I never seal myself up. Ever! But as I only have gobbos and kobolds, thats of no real matter.

Other than that, I don't have any house rules. I tend to set myself some specific goals for each site. Some have plumbing as in "Well in every dwarfs room as a substitute for a toilet" and "magma for heating those poor fellows". Thus I need whole z-levels just for plumbing ^^...
But most of the stuff I've read here sounds more like a scenario than real "houserules to be applied to every single game"...
Pages: 1 [2]