Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d16 Strange river formation  (Read 1384 times)

Kadara

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
40d16 Strange river formation
« on: September 18, 2009, 11:04:52 pm »

Hi all, my first post here.  I just genned a world looking for a nice dam site, and found a river that's split in a weird way.  Don't know if it's a bug, or just a side effect related to modding.  Don't know if it'd make any difference, but I'm using a combination of Mayday's tileset/mod, Orc mod, and Civilization Forge mod.

There's a 14 tile river that just appears from no where that I can find, eventually falling off into a multi z-level waterfall then flowing off the map.  There's a second river, 13 tiles, that comes from off the map.  It falls a few z-levels, then intersects a 4 tile wide river.  There's little gouges in the land around the rivers, like the fingers of a chasm.  I've got the map running now, gonna see if the first river drains and the second one starts flooding.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hope I got the tags on those right...
On the first pic,  you can see all the chasm like areas.  It's the East river that appears out of no where and flows out to the Southeast.  You can see the top of the West river in the same pic, and the possible third river flowing out to the North in the second one.

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 40d16 Strange river formation
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 03:31:15 am »

Might be a partial underwater source (does the embark region have an underground lake?). I've seen chasm-like on sources, but not on major rivers...

Kadara

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 04:22:54 am »

No underground river or lake.  Don't know if it could be fed by an aquifer, I'll have to try and dig over that way and check.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 08:06:52 am »

That's what one end of a river or brook looks like.  Just spread out in fingers, like a chasm end.  It's just how Toady has programmed thin things like chasms and rivers to end.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 12:24:25 pm »

Think of it as being the river delta.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 04:50:56 pm »

Think of it as being the river delta.

Only instead of the exit to the river into a body of water, you're looking at the tributaries.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 05:47:03 pm »

Tributaries should come in along the river's whole length though, or at least as much of that length is in high rainfall biomes. 

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 08:32:27 pm »

Tributaries should come in along the river's whole length though, or at least as much of that length is in high rainfall biomes. 

They do, this one is very weird though.  Normally tributaries make brooks.  Two brooks make a small river, and two small rivers make a big one.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 08:51:28 pm »

I found something like thing escept it has....three river sources...in a four by four enbark area.

Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 09:35:14 pm »

Wow, these look like synapses.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 10:56:53 pm »

There's actually another bug in the embark in that last picture - the river flowing north isn't flowing at all (note that every single tile is a ≈, rather than half of them being ~), since the north edge of the map is set as a river source. I've generated several worlds with scenarios like this, and they all end up with one river being completely devoid of flow. Apparently, the game doesn't expect two rivers to be flowing off of different edges of the map, so it makes one edge a source instead of a sink.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 11:02:53 pm »

Now that's a bug.  The shape, as far as I know, is intended (for the time being, at any rate).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember