Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Special achievement feats  (Read 839 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Special achievement feats
« on: May 14, 2008, 07:10:00 am »

Wouldn't it be nice to add some bonuses when you achieve special goals?

Examples:

DWARVEN BARD: When you manage to create a masterpiece of every instrument, and they are on the map at the same time (not traded away), a new noble will arrive with the next immigration wave. His presence will cause your dwarves to move 5% faster. (Keep thinking of 7 dwarves singing Hey Ho, Hey Ho..)

DWARVEN PRIEST
After the Baron arrives, when more than 2/3 off your population believes in the same god, the Dwarven priest will arrive with the next immigration wave,
When he is present, wounded dwarves get one extra recovery check at the beginning of each season. (You'd sure have to kill of a lot of unwanted dwarves.. Blood for the Blood God!)

SPIDER ARMOR: When you manage to equip a dwarf with masterpiece giant cave spider chitin armor, leggins, high boots, helm and shield, The dwarf in question will be able to shoot webs in battle. (The webs will be normal cave spider silk, or it would be too easy to get more giant cave spidersilk.)

DRAGON ARMOR: If you manage to turn that very hard to come by dragon leather into a masterpiece helm,
The unit wearing it will gain [DRAGONFIREBREATH]. Careful now for friendly fire..

HYDRA ARMOR: If you can make masterpiece hydra leather armor and helm, the unit wearing those gains [WATERBREATHE]. Death to the carp!

I hope that's not too hard to code..

What do you think people? More ideas also welcome!

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Special achievement feats
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 08:48:00 am »

I dunno about the armor, since the effects would seem to be more magical in nature than by any inherent trait of the items themselves...  And everything I'm hearing says magic is miles away from implementation.  but I do like the idea of having priests around, but you should have to build a temple either for them to show up or as a Mandate as soon as they do.  And as the importance of the priest rises, so too should the grandeur of the Temple, no?
Demon of Darkness

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 10:58:00 am »

Well no, not magical. The effects I described are already present in the game in the form of innate abilities of the creatures the armor is made from. Except that I am not sure that a Hydra has waterbreathing.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:58:00 am »

I like the suggestions for new nobles.  I kinda miss the horde of nobles that used to wander my 2d forts.  And even back then I remember talking/thinking about them granting more neat bonuses.

The Bard is a good idea, arriving once a certain value of instruments had been created.  Along the lines of throwing and attending parties, Ingish Astrok has organized a concert at the Dolomite Table! and various dwarves would Attend Concert and get happy thoughts about Ingish's sublime performance, etc..

I remember wanting the Philosopher to give lectures in the same manner.  And my favorite, the Order of the <weapon> guys, I always wanted them to give drills in the barracks for anyone training in the appropriate weapon.

The shift seems to be away from more nobles though, and more assignable dwarves within your population.  But these same concepts could work within that new framework too.  If you build $$100,000 worth of instruments, you can assign a Bard.  If you forge $$100,000 worth of spears and have 6 or more dwarves classified as speardwarves, you can get a Order of the Spear Instructor.

Priest, Medic, Alchemist, Judge, Beastmaster .. I hope they'll get some attention in the upcoming Arcs, bustling town or the burrows arc maybe.

The armor ideas are really cool, hah, i wonder when things like that will start to get implemented, or when we'll be able to mod them in

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 02:51:00 pm »

"Wouldn't it be nice to add some bonuses when you achieve special goals?"

This is starting to sound like the X-box 360's achievement system with bonuses attached... But certainly that cannot be true... Ill keep reading

Dwarven Bard:
-Because not only can you put more instruments into the game, but you also have no choice over what instrument you can make... This kinda just becomes an extra but ultimately unimportant.
--The Idea of a specific Noble that gives a 5% bonus... Id rather you be able to create that bonus yourself with enough musicians
---This idea kinda works like "Magic" id rather that 5% work by helping your Dwarves ignore penelties to speed.
*Ignore my Dwarven Bard comments as a whole*

Dwarven Priest:
-I strongly disagree with this for once. The bonuses for having a large number of your population as one religion should come naturally rather then artificially.
--This would be better to AT LEAST be put this on hold until Toady makes religion a stronger force in the game rather then being passive uselessness.
---Possibly the strongest reason against this is the "Bonus" should differ depending on the god... I doubt the God of Pregnancy would give healing.

Spider Armor, Dragon Armor, Hydra Armor:
-While all possible... Id rather ENTIRELY reserve these effects for Artifacts

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 03:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>"Wouldn't it be nice to add some bonuses when you achieve special goals?"

This is starting to sound like the X-box 360's achievement system with bonuses attached... But certainly that cannot be true...</STRONG>

So...like Team Fortress 2...?
Apparently enough of the new achievements grant you superitems.  Right now there's only the super medic gun...thing.  I haven't managed to figure out what it does yet because while there is a listing of abilities when you get killed by the guy weilding it, it's so short I haven't been able to read it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »

quote:

And like Mass Effect

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 03:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>

Apparently enough of the new achievements grant you superitems.  Right now there's only the super medic gun...thing.  I haven't managed to figure out what it does yet because while there is a listing of abilities when you get killed by the guy weilding it, it's so short I haven't been able to read it.</STRONG>

Your ubercharge gets powered up.  That's all it is.  Nothing special.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 04:11:00 pm »

Come on now, the ideas about the bard giving a bonus isn't bad, but maybe a "5% speed bonus" sound a bit not-df...
How about this:
The bard arrives when (conditions met), he then proceeds to pick up instruments and run around singing, playing and dancing, and performing at all parties.
Everyone who hears the bards singing will have a good/bad thought about it based on their personal preferences and the bards skill (mostly good as the bard should be a bonus in my opinion). If a dwarf doesn't like tentacle demons and the only thing the bard sings about is tentacle demons, this dwarf will get an unhappy thought.
I have no idea if this is implemented or not, but maybe dwarves who are ecstatic/happy would take less breaks maybe, this would make them work "faster".

Also, in addition to this i would like to see that dwarves have a hard time getting ecstatic or very unhappy, as this bonus would be permanent otherwise. I for one never have happy/content/unhappy dwarves, and i think this is quite common.

een failing lately?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »

"Come on now, the ideas about the bard giving a bonus isn't bad"

The idea that only the bard, which you need to attract, can play instruments to give happy thoughts is what I am really objecting to.

Then even if he isn't the only one... the idea that he outdates other musician dwarves also presents a problem to me.

Though at the same time the Dungeon Master does outdate ordinary Tamers somewhat... (it depends if the Dungeon Master can tame mundane animals)

[ May 14, 2008: Message edited by: Neonivek ]