Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A segregated fortress.  (Read 2338 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: A segregated fortress.
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 07:02:37 am »

You may have to "deal" with already-married pairs, though.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 09:47:37 am »

Just disable pregnancy in the init.txt file.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 11:08:34 am »

Not stunned but unconscious; when there is a collapse your dwarves momentarily go unconscious and at this point you can capture them in cage traps, but let them out soon or they'll starve.
Oh, right. I forgot stunning is something different.

Dwarfspores only germinate in maried wodwarfs. Being seperated, there should also be  no marriages.
Don't immigrants often show up married?
Akur Akir Akam!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 12:34:45 pm »

Dwarfspores only germinate in maried wodwarfs. Being seperated, there should also be  no marriages.
Don't immigrants often show up married?
Umm... yeah, they occasionally do. Just kill one, segregation is evil anyhow. ;) 
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Arathanar

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: mind-boggling awesomeness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 12:29:57 pm »

This will be fun.
Urist, you can't go there! The ground is PURPLE!

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 08:08:01 pm »

I sense... death... within this place.
And by this place, I mean this thread.
And by death, I mean TVTropes.
So, exactly what I already said. ::)
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 12:24:48 am »

Your airlock idea sounds extra fussy, actually. I think when you consider the sheer magnitude of stuff that needs to move back and forth you'll have trouble. Many fortresses run into barrel shortages. You'll have barrels split between the two fortresses, presumably men making them, but women usually filling them and returning them to the men full of booze and needing to be returned. With a large fortress, it's a LOT of moving.

Two ideas:

1) Create a shaft from one fortress to the other and a 2nd working in reverse. Put a stockpile at the top of the shaft for items to move to the other fortress and periodically designated it for dumping and unforbid the dumped items at the bottom.
2) Create shared stockpiles that are connected to each fortress but use a double floodgate design to ensure that only one fortress can access it at any time. A lever in one fortress opens one floodgate on the local side and closes one on the remote side, a lever in the other fortress does the same. Only when both levers are thrown can access shift from one fortress to another. If you create two that hold the same items (say booze), one can always be accessible to each fortress, so both production and consumption can be satisfied.

The second case would probably work best, particularly for moving a lot of mixed item types (food, booze, barrels, bags, stone). Use other stockpiles within the fortress set to take from/put to the airlock stockpiles to automatically empty/fill the airlocks when you switch rooms.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 09:50:12 am »

FECKIT. I just escaped tropeslund. I swear, by the time the next release comes out, I will have read the entire of that bloody site.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 12:41:21 pm »

There is no end to the tropes. The tropes are where the internet will one day go to die. :P
What were we talking about? Segre... okay.

You could split the map in 3 thirds, wall off the two that'll be used for the segregated fortress, and use the middle third to deal with any immigrants you don't want before carefully letting them in?
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 01:29:25 pm »

I tried something similar, except it was prisoners and guards.  Didn't turn out too well.

The way my airlock worked is a small room, with the only two entrances.  One entrance had a few floodgates, the other had a retracting bridge over a 1 Z level drop.

Both where connected to a lever.  Whenever the lever was pulled, it would activate both of them.  Since by default the bridge starts as passable and the floodgates start as impassable, whenever you pulled the lever it would change which side had access to the airlock.

Good luck, it's not easy.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: 1 [2]