Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why are only the underground crops seasonal?  (Read 695 times)

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why are only the underground crops seasonal?
« on: August 19, 2009, 11:40:17 am »

This has always bugged me.  The underground crops, which do not rely on sunlight and presumably are unaffected by seasonal variations, are seasonal, but the aboveground crops can always be planted every season.  Why is this?

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why are only the underground crops seasonal?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 11:48:11 am »

Placeholder, rather than intentional, I'm sure.

-Yeah, I just checked. Season growth is all in the raws; ten minutes of modding could set it aright once you decided which plants should grow in which season. I imagine Toady would rather code for the next release rather than muck with something that doesn't matter all that much.

I mean, I'll bet that eventually plants will check for temperature rather than season. What happens, for instance, if you want to grow rope reed, but rope reed only grows in summer? You're on a freezing map and your summers are slightly warmer than a temperate map's winter, say.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 11:52:11 am by kefkakrazy »
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 12:05:44 pm »

Then couldn't we make the changes, and humbly offer them to Toady to include in a future release?  I would be really interested in making contributions like this, but I'm not sure how the process works.  I would love to help make improvements to DF, even if it is just making the placeholders better.

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 12:29:33 pm »

I seem to remember reading about this in the bloats somewhere, i'll go have a look now.

And if it is there, it means Toady will try to include it in v1, whenever that gets released.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 12:24:16 pm »

Well, tweak it and post it, or maybe put it on the wiki. If people like it, people will stick it into their copy.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 12:46:43 pm »

Well known issue, and Toady probably won't bother with it until he does more work on plants in general. Although, that's possible with the next release since he made a bunch of changes to the raws for the material changes. Plants might have been included in that.

For the current version, I've already made a similar change in Civilization Forge, and there are several plant-specific mods out there. Feel free to grab what I've done with CivForge or any of the other mods that do this.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 12:50:57 pm »

Yep. Wiki has plant fixes.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei