Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Improving Weapon Possession  (Read 2248 times)

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Improving Weapon Possession
« on: August 05, 2009, 01:27:37 pm »

I have a spear.

My spear loves to get stuck in the legs of Giants.

I often lose my spear because of this.

What impacts the chances of retaining my weapon on a stuck-in?

I have anecdotal evidence that Strength plays a role.  I would assume Size does as well. 

Anything else?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Improving Weapon Possession
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 02:04:02 pm »

strength, size and wrestling skill. Size just makes you stronger over all so its really just strength and wrestling. Train up wrestling and you'll probably never lose it again.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 02:41:30 pm »

My adventurer has legendary +9 in wrestling and is ultra-mighty, but loses his spear on a regular basis fighting anything much bigger than him. 

My semi-mega beats are all modded to have a size of 20 and damage block of 50, my mega beasts have size in the 60 to 80 range with 100 damage block.  I suspect the key difference is the effective strength of my opponents(effectively 6+(5 or more) vs 20).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 02:48:39 pm by PencilinHand »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 03:21:17 pm »

My adventurer has legendary +9 in wrestling and is ultra-mighty, but loses his spear on a regular basis fighting anything much bigger than him. 

My semi-mega beats are all modded to have a size of 20 and damage block of 50, my mega beasts have size in the 60 to 80 range with 100 damage block.  I suspect the key difference is the effective strength of my opponents(effectively 6+(5 or more) vs 20).
Yeah... with a size like that its going to be almost impossible to keep hold of. Size is a multiplier, so a size of even 20 is like a legendary plus 15 or something. 60 or 80 is just insane.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 03:34:15 pm »

Bring along a bunch of spears; soon as one gets stuck, take the next one out of your bag and let the battle continue. This tactic has the added advantage of leaving your enemies full of spears, even if you are killed in the effort.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 06:25:13 pm »

Also if you run into a zombie semi-megabeast/megabeast, don't bother with the spear, it'll get stuck and do absolutely no damage. You should have an alternate attack skill like throwing or hammer or whatever.

Or you could set a tree on fire and watch him burn.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 07:07:29 pm »

Legendary +9? Something's up here.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 11:55:37 pm »

Legendary +9? Something's up here.

Legendary Wrestler 2891/2900.

I say Legendary +9 because ever time a skill increases rank the xp needed for the next rank, starting at 500, is increased by 100 reaching 2000 at the rank of Legendary.  Hence, Legendary +9.  However, in terms of actual skill, according to the wiki, there is no real benefit for leveling a skill beyond Legendary +5.  My saying "Legendary +9" was meant to be gratuitous.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 01:50:54 am »

I think that limit only applies for the easier test of average crafting quality rate and speed, not for anything an adventurer would do.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 07:41:34 pm »

I think that limit only applies for the easier test of average crafting quality rate and speed, not for anything an adventurer would do.

I am pretty sure that both combat and non-combat skills follow the same rules as there is nothing to suggest otherwise.  Statical analysis would be needed to prove it, though.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 05:25:14 pm »

We might just ask Toady.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile