Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Engagement ring  (Read 8659 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Engagement ring
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2009, 09:45:43 am »

Yeah, she wanted a platinum + diamond ring. So expensive boring. That was why I posted. Good suggestions throughout the thread though, she's taken a liking to some of the gems some of you suggested, which weren't as boring as diamond.

Rings are an ego thing, though, and an ego thing that lasts (hopefully) forever. She's a social type and has a lot of friends who get married, and they hang around together and compare whose got nicer rings, who has cuter babies, and who got pregnant first. Giving her a nice wedding ring is not necessary, but her getting one is a great ego boost, something like a geek winning a gold medal at some computer games tournament.

Where I come from, to put it rather bluntly, even poor people get gold wedding rings. Culturally, giving her anything worth less is sort of an insult. Anyway, it's a once in a lifetime thing, and not too much more expensive than a computer, so I'd say that it's good value for money.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2009, 12:30:27 pm »

it's a once in a lifetime thing,

You hope, at least.  :D
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2009, 01:52:56 pm »

Which ones did she like?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2009, 02:31:08 pm »

Platnum!?!

Ok honestly... I am starting to think people's taste in jewelry is determined almost purely by how expencive the material is.

Platnum is expencive but it isn't the most beautiful metal in existance.

Edit addition: I will say it honestly makes me mad.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 01:03:22 am by Neonivek »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2009, 07:50:17 am »

Which ones did she like?

Still likes titanium, because she values things by how tough they are, and I think she expected them to be more expensive than platinum. But I managed to convince her that white gold is prettier, because it is.

She has a thing for the pink, purple gems. Tourmaline, amethyst, sapphire (even blue sapphire). I think there were a few other ones, but I decided on choosing between those :P

Ok honestly... I am starting to think people's taste in jewelry is determined almost purely by how expencive the material is.

Isn't that pretty much the whole point of it? Jewelry's a bit of a show of wealth.. if you wanted to look pretty, there's always nice clothes, nice haircuts, or a cool tattoo :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2009, 08:45:04 am »

Have you considered tungsten?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2009, 11:14:12 am »

Yeah, she wanted a platinum + diamond ring. So expensive boring. That was why I posted. Good suggestions throughout the thread though, she's taken a liking to some of the gems some of you suggested, which weren't as boring as diamond.

Rings are an ego thing, though, and an ego thing that lasts (hopefully) forever. She's a social type and has a lot of friends who get married, and they hang around together and compare whose got nicer rings, who has cuter babies, and who got pregnant first. Giving her a nice wedding ring is not necessary, but her getting one is a great ego boost, something like a geek winning a gold medal at some computer games tournament.

Where I come from, to put it rather bluntly, even poor people get gold wedding rings. Culturally, giving her anything worth less is sort of an insult. Anyway, it's a once in a lifetime thing, and not too much more expensive than a computer, so I'd say that it's good value for money.
Sorry, I hope I don't offend you with this post :).
1) Comparing the rings... Comparing the babies... Man what the hell? It should be private, and YOUR baby is always the best, and YOUR husband is the only one... How can such things be compared? I find it to be too cynical for my thinking. Again, a wedding ring is something personal, not a usual jewelry.
2) a platinum + diamond ring? It's fine if you work in a big company and fly in planes... If not, she should understand that she will LIVE with you after you give her the ring, and those money could be spent on better food, clothes and baby toys.
3) "even poor people get gold wedding rings"? Where I live even poor people get gold wedding rings too, and rich ones too. When does the gold become a cheap metal? I mean, there're those big fancy golden rings worth thousands of bucks too. Moreover, platinum is something less good than gold for a jewerly, it may be more expensive, but I think that more beautiful is better than more expensive. Also a phrase "I love you" inside of the ring is more important than a diamond outside >.<.

Well, it's just my opinion and I am sure that there's a lot of things why you chose her (except for jewelry tastes? ;D) so I can't be a judge here. But I am a bit terrified how much you will spend on a wedding dress ;). Oh and a haircut for the bride, these things cost a lot too now.

P.S. If you can afford an expensive ring though, then don't listen to me. Buy her the ring she wants, and you will avoid the grumbling for the rest of your life about "cheap ring" :). I kinda don't know your status, when I married I was a student living in my mom's apartment, so I had to work on 2 jobs to pay for the ring, dress and wedding celebration :).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 11:19:10 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2009, 03:55:35 am »

Yeah, I considered tungsten, but in terms of value and looks, I sort of prefer titanium to it.

Ah, Deon, it's a bit of a cultural thing, hard to explain, but I'll try. Not meant as a flaming post, just an interesting topic about different culture..

Where I come from, weddings and divorces are easy. Anyone could get legally married in half an hour, with a minimum of three random guests. Divorces are even easier; there has been a case where someone sent "I'm divorcing you if you don't listen to me" via SMS and it was legally recognized.

Having an expensive wedding sorta implies that she's worth the effort and the more spent on the wedding, the less likely it is for them to get divorced. Obviously, this is rarely true, but it's how people view it. Having a cheap wedding is kinda looked down upon, and I know at least one criminal case where the bail was reduced because the man wanted to pay for his wedding.

1) The comparing babies thing is a bit of an in-joke, but it sort of implies that whoever has the cutest baby has the cutest husband and thus, got the best catch. Wedding ring here is not exactly very personal.. it's sort of like showing how much the husband loves her.

2 and 3) Well, I have yet to meet a girl who didn't want anything less than a platinum + diamond.. this whole thread was about something prettier but cheaper ;) Here, old people have a lot of gold bling bling, literally gold earrings, necklaces, bracelets, ankle bands, rings on all their fingers. Gold is a tacky material that went out of fashion a generation ago. It's the stuff that cheap coins are made of. An "I love you" phrase on the ring are empty words, an expensive-looking gem proves those words far more than any phrase.

It's difficult to even say how much an expensive wedding is worth. Some people work hard just so they can get a big house, a luxury car, an ivy league education for their kids. A luxurious wedding is on that list, but it's far cheaper than the others. In a highly simplified sense, it's the cheapest kind of happiness money can buy.

I'm pretty much working my ass off to pay for the whole wedding too, lol. But purely financially, I see it this way.. in marrying her, I get a lot of the wealth she already has, so it's not a bad deal XD

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2009, 06:07:41 pm »

You want more expencive and pretty?

Hmmm, well not strictly impossible it will require some research on my part. For example you could use Meteoric Gold/Platnum that went through Cryogenic treatment.

As for Gems that will require more research but to my knowledge there are plenty of gemstones that are more expencive then regular diamonds (though I think those are also Diamonds)

Though I guess if you use a Saphire Band made of Pure Saphire it would raise the price a bit (what was her birthstone again?)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 06:17:47 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]