Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aggresivness of Civs  (Read 806 times)

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
Aggresivness of Civs
« on: August 17, 2009, 01:27:42 pm »

A quick question, what makes civs aggressive? Goblins for example will always seige you, (as will orcs if your using orc mod). Whereas humans and elves are mostly allies.

Also on the subject of orc mod, orcs seem to attack incredibly quickly, which tags are responsible for this behaviour?

All feedback welcome

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Aggresivness of Civs
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 01:29:15 pm »

Babysnatcher, sieger, and thief are ones.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 01:35:30 pm »

Agressiveness is controlled in part by whether or not the civ has [SPHERE:WAR], and the size of the priority argument that comes after (if any), the civ's spheres as opposed to other civ's spheres (if two races really disagree, they might go to war), and possibly down to the actual civ creature's personality tokens (again, similar to the above). If you give a race [SPHERE:WAR:20000] or somesuch they'll always be at war with everything.

As for the orcs, open their entity raw (I believe it's called entity_new) and look for the [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_xyz] lines. These lines determine how advanced your settlement has to be in size, wealth, and/or exported wealth for them to attack. Valid arguments are 1 (0?) to 5.

Also adding [BABYSNATCHER] and [ITEM_THIEF] and possibly [AMBUSHER] will force the orcs to do those things before they seige, ergo delaying the seiging state.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 01:38:00 pm by 3 »

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 01:41:06 pm »

Thank you all very much for quick and consise replies, which has answered my question perfectly. Good job DF has such a good community  :D, the reason I want to know is so I can have Orc mod on, but I dont get rushed in the first winter which is annoying if your caught unprepared.

Also changing these values midgame to humans and elves will give me plenty of fodder to kill.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 01:42:06 pm »

Changing those values midgame won't do anything, you need a regen for any entity changes to take effect.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 01:47:45 pm »

Thank you 3, your knowledge of entity modding far surpasses mine.

EDIT: now changed PROGRESS TRIGGER POPULATION to 2 for orcs, should allow me battles with orcs at the same fortress level as goblins, but without them zerging me in the first year.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 02:15:10 pm by Hishan »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 06:01:28 pm »

It's not zerging if they're bigger than you.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 07:25:57 pm »

Lol o.o I hear some people get attacked in the summer.. But if you focus on defense and food production over wealth and keep your pop low for a while you can have a well-fortified fortress (imagine that) before the first "rush"  Keep hidden and nothing will kill you. (Unlike most people who choose to go full econ first year to hopefully get that precious anvil first caravan)

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 08:56:26 pm »

The reason Orcs are always at war is because they have [CAN_CIV] and [CAN_LEARN] but not [CAN_SPEAK]. Taking away the last one makes a civ always war. Keep in mind that [INTELLIGENT] acts as all three.

Also, a large part of war is determined by the interaction of ethics. If two civs have opposing views on ethics (unthinkable vs. acceptable) they will often fight over an issue.

Civs also run a threat assessment when determining whether or not to go to war. If they fail this check (the enemy is stronger than them) they will often decide not to.