Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #1: Feedback  (Read 32959 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 Recorded Call #1: Feedback
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2009, 03:04:22 pm »

what do you think would be a good implementation language for DF if it /was/ started today?
Considering the amount of calculations required? Assembly.  :P
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2009, 05:05:49 pm »

See, that's it exactly. DF currently isn't a single-person project anymore (just almost), and therefore source control is a good idea.

I think I may have shown him that it's useful, too, he just doesn't want to take time out from this release to learn about it. Maybe later.

And implementation language? Well..

Making a DF-like fast is mostly about smart algorithms, and secondarily about micro-optimizations and multithreading - the micro-optimizations being for stuff like the weather automaton, which can't really be smartified.

So, I'd take a dual-language approach. Most of the game would be in haskell, which is great for smart algorithms and threading; if that turns out to be too slow for particular sections that have to be brute-forced, I'd use C just for those bits; though with the weather automaton, I'd probably write an OpenCL implementation as well; it looks like it'd fit great.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2009, 08:57:16 pm »

Not to bring down the mood, but let's try to keep this thread on topic please :D

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2009, 05:47:17 pm »

Toady's gonna have to manually merge the graphics changes and the next version stuff together by hand

I'm not looking at the code of course, but that doesn't sound like it'd be too hard... the major work for the next version is lower-level data-manipulation stuff which should be separate from the presentation code. At least I always try to keep them separate in my projects.

But Capntastic's got a point, so: Loved it, looking forward to the next one!
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2009, 12:39:59 pm »

I really like it when developers tell fans of their work, and answer questions and don't just keep it all to themselves until they release it. So yeah, I enjoyed this quite a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]