Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The megaproject to end all megaprojects - brainstorming  (Read 4777 times)

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
Re: The megaproject to end all megaprojects - brainstorming
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2009, 10:01:33 pm »

yes it is  :D
but i think the dwarves are more the incarnation of the typical prejudices europeans have against americans :D
like over-secured entrances for example ;D

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2009, 07:56:44 am »

Sorry, but the lyrics just don't quite fit the syllables in the song....

Here's my attempt, building on yours:

And the world it burned, burned, burned,
And we’re the one’s that did it!
It burned, burned, burned,
While all the creatures ran and died.
It burned, burned, burned,
And magma's extremely dwarfy
And the Elves ran and cried like a bunch of little babies
Waa waa waah!
In the Flood of 1018!

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2009, 12:29:58 pm »

and place that magma cube on a region tile with high elevation to make sure the lava goes a long way...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2009, 03:21:36 pm »

and place that magma cube on a region tile with high elevation to make sure the lava goes a long way...
Exactly. Plus, the crow's nest base would make for excellent observation of everything fizzling out of existence way, way, way, WAY down below (a minimum of 50z from the ground or tallest peak).

I'd like to see some visualizer screens of the before/after of the location, as well as progressive frames of the melting cube of magma into "The Blob" from an unfortunate adventurer's perspective. If any GCSs get cooked by it though, be sure to bring some butter as well.

I'd like a history report if possible. BTW, I figure that a 6x6 or 10x10 (embark area) magma cube would be far more than adequate to give an entire country a nice thick candy shell.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2009, 03:25:54 am »

Make a gaint Toad statue with a big waterfall coming out of his mouth and in his arms he wil be holding the word Armok with ofcourse a moat filled with water around him.
Bonus if you can fill his eyes with magma and change the water with magma.
and now imagine it in your head

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2009, 07:45:50 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
it sounds great,
out of curiosity, what happens if you have water/magma comming in form an other site and you don't put it in a deep reservoire but you let it in a same level(so that water/magma touch the border of the second fortress map)? will it flow back in fortress mode (at least for water since it can flow througth edges) or will game treat this map edge water tile like a water source?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2009, 07:58:10 am »

The magma will neither continue to flow nor flow back: It'll just stay there. Map edges are magma impermeable in fortress mode; look up a fortress called Snaketributes for a display of just what one can do with that fact.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2009, 08:02:13 am »

The magma will neither continue to flow nor flow back: It'll just stay there. Map edges are magma impermeable in fortress mode; look up a fortress called Snaketributes for a display of just what one can do with that fact.
yes i know that, but how about water? anyone tested it? 'cause map edge water can be a generating water source like aquifiers, rivers, or not like other end of rivers ...so what about artificial map edge water tiles?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2009, 09:42:18 am »

yes i know that, but how about water? anyone tested it? 'cause map edge water can be a generating water source like aquifiers, rivers, or not like other end of rivers ...so what about artificial map edge water tiles?
I would be willing to bet anything that nothing would happen. The water-source site would not be loaded into memory while playing the water-receiving site.

In response to your original question I probably would let the magma into the next site at grade; I would dump it into a reservoir in the middle of the receiving site rather than at the edge. The point of putting it into a reservoir at all has to do with issues about which sites stay in memory in adventure mode:

Unfortunately, when you move from the second to the third site, the first one is unloaded from memory and magma stops moving. To make a serious "collect all the world's magma" project, you would probably need to put a relay station on every (or at least every other) site with a magma-vent-sized holding tank, and move the entire contents of each vent one site at a time.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2009, 10:32:25 am »

Actualy what i am thinking about is a small megaproject (i just love nano fortresses) but i am sure it can be done in bigger maps too:
1)choose a nice spot for nano fortress with magma pool, and aquifire (water income and magma forges enabled) or a brook (water + magma forges can be enabled)
2)make a hole about the map like this:
 27 levels nothing (but a 4 wide bridges in edges North East S. W. for later income)
 1 with a 5*5 greenglass shelter for re-embarking
 1 with a sand layer (dropped from above)
 1 open layer with holes around for magma income
3) you make forts around to make a wall around this site
4) you bring water + magma in form one side with a z level upper then the inner fortress maximum
5) as an adventurer you cast the original site to have all z levels from obsidian (you can even the top most becouse of step 4, and the bridges will let you place for trader income later), if done well for the most down level you will have magma for forges, a layer of sand for farming and glass, a small place to re-embark and a hola map cast from obsidian
6) go back and play in your completly sealed obsidian fortress
like a variant you could re open your site with a new embark and then reabandon, make rare resource mining/gathering(ore, gems, wood not for sure that wont away) sites take stuff there with adventurer, then play on your, rich as hell nanofortress ...
Mohreb el Yasim

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]