Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pushing bodypart boundaries  (Read 769 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pushing bodypart boundaries
« on: August 15, 2009, 12:18:32 pm »

Warning: I haven't actually tested any of this yet, so it's all hypothetical at the moment. I also haven't done much homework when it comes to looking up prior threads on this sort of thing, so please tell me if I'm wasting my time

While I'm aware that a new version is due that may (probably) have some major effects on the handling of bodyparts, I was simply too curious to not to check out how well the game handles making some really weird bodyparts via use of the existing tokens - an example:

Code: [Select]
[BP:ORG:flappy tendrils][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][INTERNAL][GUTS][SMALL][SIGHT][THROAT]Or better yet:
Code: [Select]
[BP:ORG:hidden eyelimb][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][INTERNAL][LIMB][SIGHT]
1: As far as I'm aware, internal organs with the [SIGHT]/[HEAR]/[SMELL] - or even [MOUTH] - tags shouldn't be adversely affected by the organ being internal. This has already been used pretty widely.

2: The game renders internal bodyparts visible only when they've been injured. If an organ is designated both as internal and as a wrestleable bodypart (ie, a throat or even a limb), can a player wrestle that bodypart, and, if so, is whether or not the bodypart has received prior injuries (and is therefore either visible or invisible) a parameter in deciding whether or not said part can be wrestled? This is particularly applicable to guts - the game log describing guts "shooting out" of wounds and such - though I don't see why the game should handle them any differently in its current state.

Obviously in the first example above the bodypart will only ever be mangled (thanks to the [GUTS] tag), and I'm assuming that said mangulation will also lead to the effects of having a mangled windpipe. But eyeballs can't be mangled - and this leads me to point three:
3: Does the game check one applicable tag when it comes to determining wound potential (ie, the first or the last) or checks all of them (and somehow combines the effects)? Personally I'd guess the former. If that's the case, which tag? If it's possible to figure out a specific tag chosen (assuming it's not randomly selected), then it'll be possible to designate bodyparts as redundant eyes or guts to make said parts tougher.

4: How eligibile are internal organs when it comes to designating attacks? As far as I can see attacking with an internal grasp/limb works in exactly the same way as any other grasp/limb part. Consequential uses? This might mean that players can designate proper limbs that actually can't be wrestled, or struck with non-peircing weapons.

I'm going to check this out and see how well it works. If this turns out well, then true Lovecraftian monstrosities are just around the corner.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pushing bodypart boundaries
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 03:51:10 pm »

My brain hurts trying to read this. I'm not smart enough.

I do know that either [SIGHT] or [THROAT] makes the part far weaker (or tougher) than usual though.
[BP:EYE:eye][CONTYPE:HEAD][SIGHT][EMBEDDED][SMALL]

[BP:THROAT:throat][CONTYPE:HEAD][THROAT][EMBEDDED][SMALL]

Both pieces only differ by one token, but eyes are destroyed instantly while throats are worn down.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 04:00:46 pm »

Yeah, I see what you mean. The fact that different organ types have different degrees of vulnerability can only lead to more depth...

So far, everything seems to work fine. I haven't managed to check out how the game handles part damage (that's a bit tricky, I need some kind of unkillable dummy, perhaps a zombie), but creatures with weird parts seem to work fine, and I'm not getting any errors.
My current idea is to give a megabeast a "boss attack" via giving it an internal limb and setting a high-damage attack to that limb, with :SECOND: priority. The result I'm hoping for is the megabeast attacking with the previously hidden (and impossible to hit without a spear/bow) limb when all its other attacking limbs have been removed/rendered otherwise useless.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 08:02:41 am »

I added a crapload of useless bodyparts to cats, so they would detonate with 30X power!

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 11:09:48 am »

I've got some new info after playing in modded adventure mode.

It seems that the toughness of a part is determined by whether or not it is internal or external. [EMBEDDED] allows a part to be gouged. However, it has no effect on weakness. Rather, gouging seems to be an instant-destroy attack.

[SMALL] also seems to make parts weaker.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 11:24:01 am »

[SMALL] makes it unable to be severed.
Don't do it.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries