Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Choose your own Disaster, next update please!  (Read 1456 times)

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
Re: Choose your own Disaster, next update please!
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »

Now, be a bit more lenient toward the OP, will you? I too don't like his posting style, but underneath it there is a good suggestion that (1) doesn't break or change the game mechanics, (2) is easy to implement and (3) adds fun to the _game_ for those that wish to play in a particular way or test designs. Thus, an only-win suggestion.

As for the game not being SimCity, well, the names differ, but compare them feature for feature and you'll see that their Venn diagrams overlap more than not. Face it, the disasters menu in SimCity was one of the most loved features of the game. It is a natural, almost obvious, feature for DF.

This is a *suggestion* forum, not "deny suggestions out of some indefinable personal opinion" forum. (Still, I can understand the urge to squash any suggestion posted in the way this was).

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »

Sounds good.  Just imagine an interface for a magma flood disaster!

Choose width of the event: 2550x2550
Choose height of the event: 6 z levels tall
Choose location:10 z levels up above the fortress.
Gravity:Yes
Confirm

"Get inside bill! Storms a comin!  And I don't like how red them there clouds are lookin!"

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 05:20:00 pm »

While I do agree that a "disaster menu" ala Sim City would be fun, I do also agree it's something that will likely be eventually handled by one of the utilities (such as Dwarf Companion).  Once someone figures out how to spawn creatures and create items, this suggestion will pretty much be fulfilled; you can drop a bronze colossus in your food stockpile at will, and someone will probably come up with a macro that generates a bunch of angry goblins.  (You can already create a "zombie uprising" by using DC to raise your dead as angry skeletons.)

Furthermore, sieges are currently just generated randomly; once the Army Arc completes, the incoming armies will actually have been sent forth from a dark fortress to lay waste to dwarvenkind.  I'm sure some tweaking in the raws will ensure there are a lot of goblins that are very, very frequently sending doom and destruction your way. Hell, you could generate a 17x17 world with one dwarven civ and one goblin civ, and embark in the middle of the goblins to get attacked constantly from all sides.

Lastly, while I hate to join the dogpile on the OP... "If i don't see this option within the next few versions, i'm going to really consider not donating money." That's just inexcusable no matter who you are and what happens to be wrong with you. I don't care if you're drunk, that's not cool, and I would highly suggest you find an adult to help proofread your posts before you do it again.

Derp.

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 12:15:00 am »

The original poster's style aside, I would also like to see this feature.  When I'm ready to move on from my current fortress, it just seems wrong to simply abandon a healthy fortress full of productive dwarves.  At the moment, I tend to just succumb to seiges when I'm done, but I would love to be able to just send in waves of goblins or zombies or whatever as my dwarves try to make their futile last stand.

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 12:34:00 am »

I think you guys are being a little too hard on the guy, i have often gotten in trouble for wording forum posts in a way that the intention gets misunderstood. People on the internet sometimes forget that the internet is full of people from all walks of life, from many different countries, religions, upbringings, belief systems. I have made jokes on the internet that offended people and got me yelled at that would have been fine among my friends.
It isn't a good idea to post when your drunk though (another thing I found out the hard way)

I think a disaster/invasion menu would be good but I also think it has to be seriously considered as it could be exploited. I would trigger 5 goblin invasions in a row so i could harvest all their steel gear and melt it down. Being able to flood the lowest level of your fort leads to water supply exploits, especially on desert maps. This would need to be done carefully

Also it would really bother me too if I never got seiges and I would want to fix it as badly as this guy.

[ February 25, 2008: Message edited by: Drunken ]

A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 09:15:00 am »

actually a good idea, but heres a suggestion for the op.

instead of trying to buy updates so you can play on your stoneage comp, buy some new hardware (and in case you cant do that either, get a job hippie)

expect flaming after ale, especially if you post in a serious forum ^^

een failing lately?

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 12:37:00 am »

I wont post no more when i've been drinking.

I'm sorry.... I don't need someone to proof read what i write. I just need to stop posting when i drink.

Sorry...

My suggestion still stands however.

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes
Pages: 1 [2]