Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: titans  (Read 1015 times)

phalantas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
titans
« on: September 05, 2009, 02:24:20 pm »

I was listening to the new DF talk and was blown away by a comment toady made. Not only are titans getting stronger and randomized (witch we kinda knew) but toady also said that we would be able to actually climb them at some point in the future (presumably after size actually matters to where you can hit someone). Pretty awesome so far, but then he made a joke (?) about being eaten alive by a titan and having to slash your way out! I just cant stop thinking about it! What if DF actually becomes so advanced that it actually allows for a creature to be eaten alive and either die in the stomach acids or claw/slash their ways out?
I don't think I would ever be able to leave my apartment again :(
Imagine an adamantine titan that can only be killed by somehow diving into their mouth and somehow make your way into its brain and short circuit it, leaving a big immobile (or perhaps controllable) adamantine statue. PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN!! pretty pretty pleeeease

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: titans
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 02:29:26 pm »

I suppose the climbing makes sense - if the code set the height of the creature, and the height off the ground of all body parts (obviously ignored if they are prone) then, in allowing for the reach of the attacker (and the length of their weapon) then maybe some parts would be impossible to hit.  I suppose climbing (or, possibly more accurately, jumping and clinging) could then come in, with you leaping at their upper body and holding on, ready for the killer stab to the heart.  Maybe.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 02:37:10 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
# PowerGoal89, DIGESTIVE TRACT LESSON, (Future): You are eaten by the dragon. It chews on you briefly, and you are grieviously wounded, but it swallows you and you survive. The powerful acids in its stomach surround you, but you are protected by your ring. Eventually you are passed into the intestines, where nutrients and water are absorbed, and then you are excreted.
It seemed pertinent.
I myself was heartened by the references to Shadow of the Colossus.  It's a very good game to be taking inspiration from.  Getting textual descriptions to the point of that game's music and majestic graphics will be very hard though.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 02:43:30 pm »

My favorite part was "Clifford the Big Rainbow Killer-Dog"  ;D
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

phalantas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 03:25:30 pm »

# PowerGoal89, DIGESTIVE TRACT LESSON, (Future): You are eaten by the dragon. It chews on you briefly, and you are grieviously wounded, but it swallows you and you survive. The powerful acids in its stomach surround you, but you are protected by your ring. Eventually you are passed into the intestines, where nutrients and water are absorbed, and then you are excreted.
It seemed pertinent.
I myself was heartened by the references to Shadow of the Colossus.  It's a very good game to be taking inspiration from.  Getting textual descriptions to the point of that game's music and majestic graphics will be very hard though.
wow... just wow, I honestly believed he was kidding O_o somebody give toady a million dollars, I NEED this now!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 03:52:55 pm »

Also, since when was "Puppies" or even specific animals a Sphere?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 06:12:51 pm »

# PowerGoal227, SPHERE DIFFERENTIATION, (Future): Putting in a sphere to cover pretty much all possible objects and creatures. Adding support for modded or deleted items and creatures in the spheres.

Since then.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 07:53:03 pm »

Careful Rowanas he might put it in.

an adamantine titan??? Titans are creatures, I think you are meaning Colossi (a la Bronze Colossus), but those should be randomised too, however adamantine colossus shouldn't happen do to it being HFS.

phalantas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 01:29:39 am »

Careful Rowanas he might put it in.

an adamantine titan??? Titans are creatures, I think you are meaning Colossi (a la Bronze Colossus), but those should be randomised too, however adamantine colossus shouldn't happen do to it being HFS.
Toady did say that we would get titans based on random materials and random creatures, so why not an adamantine colossus? I guess it depends on how random it really is (he may have made a list of creatures/materials for the titan creator to choose from)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 01:31:23 am »

Random creatures?

But that would be like just grabbing a desert scorpion, increasing its size, and turning it into steel.

You know, that would actually be pretty cool.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 11:52:01 am »

*cough*Albino rad scorpion *cough*

Adamantine colossi would be AWESOME. your fort is, of course, instafucked, but I think it'd be worth it.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.