Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Probably beating a dead horse, but I'd like caveins back  (Read 5035 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Probably beating a dead horse, but I'd like caveins back
« on: August 15, 2009, 04:18:44 am »

... and more complex construction in general. It would make careful planning of constructions, usage of columns, and scaffolds, more important. And megaprojects that right now are just a matter of getting enough rock for them (like pyramids) would become truly epic.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Probably beating a dead horse, but I'd like caveins back
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 06:09:54 am »

IIRC, cave-ins are meant to return to the game at some point. The transition to 3d just rendered the old cave-in system obsolete, and Toady decided not to prioritize cave-ins, but he hasn't scrapped the idea either.

Also, the cave-in option in the init file suggests that there will eventually be cave-ins again.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 11:45:50 am »

Also, the cave-in option in the init file suggests that there will eventually be cave-ins again.

That's for the current cave-in system.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 03:24:56 pm »

*nods*

There is a simplified cave-in system at present; you have to dig/channel around a bit of land enough to cut it off from all other land/construction, then it'll fall, but even a single adjacent built floor will hold it up.

Something more interesting and Fun will show up, but it's not a high priority item, so far as I know.
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 04:38:02 pm »

It'd be funny if the version that added caveins was compatible with old saves... :)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 04:46:23 pm »

It'd be funny if the version that added caveins was compatible with old saves... :)

That would be very fun-ny.