Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Let us limit immigration wave sizes  (Read 2433 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let us limit immigration wave sizes
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2008, 06:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire:
<STRONG>I usually have to make them stop for a year or two after a while because otherwise I'd have so many plump helmets I would not have any place left in my food stockpiles.</STRONG>

In my larger and more active forts I've set farms to be fallow 3/4 of the year (one inside for Summer plumps or whatever, and one outside Winter surface crop).

MoonMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2008, 08:01:00 pm »

Food isn't the problem for me. I just get immigrants so fast that after the 2nd year 70% of my dwarves are just idlers because I get new ones before I can find jobs for the old ones.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2008, 08:11:00 pm »

Do you guys know that you can already limit the immigration waves by editing the max amount of dwarves you can have on site in the init file?

If you set a number lower than the number of dwarves you already have, you won't have migration waves.

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Romantic Warrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2008, 09:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ChaosFollowing:
<STRONG>ii/ Immigrant waves aren't something you'd realistically have control over, but something you'd have to deal with.
</STRONG>

So we shouldn't be able to the sieges or the economy off either? Choice and free love are the way to go, man. Besides, ever heard of a passport? Or a visa? Those are immigration controls. They don't work so well on the national scale but when there's only one door and you know where everyone sleeps, it's a lot easier.

I'm all for an init option, plus I'd like to see a similar ability ingame. Fortress success is a large part of determining how many migrants show up. Since your only real contact with the Mountainhome is your liason and the caravan, we can assume he's taking the news back(if not, reports are being sent back via your expedition leader). So, add another feature to the liason. You can make specific requests for dwarves with the skills you want and how many you want. You wouldn't get those exactly, so a large wave might still be possible, but it would help to limit them.

What you would offer as incentive for requested dwarves, I'm not sure. A specific piece of furniture, like a jewel encrusted cabinet, or perhaps a higher quality room. When the economy kicks in, cash would be the obvious thing.

Dwarf Fortress and the Abstract Truth.

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2008, 10:05:00 pm »

THREE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY NINTH
My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

But dayyumm my room looks nice

Mood: Fine

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »

There is no good reason not to allow more control over things in the init and the raws. None. How I play doesn't impact how you play, and the more tweaking that can be done in plaintext the better the game.

Sign me up for this.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2008, 11:33:00 pm »

I don't actually have any problems with food (Roadeast actually has a very good balance right now, my stocks slowly increase over time), I was just making an "in character" style complaint to the King  :)
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2008, 11:40:00 pm »

Although I agree that handling immigrants is one of the skills a good fortress builder should have, there are cases such as glacier fortresses where 25 immigrants really is way too much. Both in terms of supporting them all and also in terms of realism. Not that many people would want to migrate to a freezing glacier covered in zombie obominable snowmen. As this game is a sandbox style game and many things are customiseable immigration waves should be also. There are plenty of fortress styles you could create where there would be few or no immigrants. There are also concievable fortresses where immigration would be much higher, such as being a refugee zone during a massive war, where you might get over 100 immigrants at once. Having said that though I imagine that the immigration rules will change with the army arc as they will have to emigrate from somewhere. Those changes may make this entire thread redundant.
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.
Pages: 1 2 [3]