Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Dwarves need..." page  (Read 695 times)

Merkuri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Dwarves need..." page
« on: February 23, 2008, 04:48:00 pm »

(Not sure whether this is something that's planned or something that's already in there and I just never found it...)

In fortress mode I wish there was a way I could see things my dwarves need/want all in one place.  If the dwarves are thirsty or hungry it would say food or drink.  If I have something in the job manager that requires a material or component I don't have, add that to the list.  If I assign a weapon to my military dwarves and there aren't enough to go around, add that too.

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Dwarves need..." page
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 04:49:00 pm »

[V]iew - head to dwarf, [W]ounds it should say if they're hungry.
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Merkuri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 04:53:00 pm »

Yeah, but now I have to do that for every dwarf.  I want to be able to see the needs/requests for all my dwarves at once.

On a related note, I wish I could see the trade agreement all year long, not just as the dwarf traders leave.

Fenrir

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 04:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Merkuri:
<STRONG>On a related note, I wish I could see the trade agreement all year long, not just as the dwarf traders leave.</STRONG>
Go to the [c]ivilisation screen and press tab until you reach imports and exports. Press enter to view the agreements.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 07:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Merkuri:
<STRONG>Yeah, but now I have to do that for every dwarf.  I want to be able to see the needs/requests for all my dwarves at once.</STRONG>

This is why DF is a wonderful example of Klingon Coding: if it was hard to make it should be hard to use! A true warrior does not complain over mere inconveniences!
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Fenrir

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 07:54:00 pm »

I'm not saying that this is a bad idea, but after about the first or second immigrant wave, I couldn't care less about each dwarf's petty preferences.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 08:03:00 pm »

I tend to run using dwarf companion, tweaked to list and sort on:
hunger/thirst/sleepiness
happiness
money

Im hoping dc adds item handling in later versions, but both my df and dc are slightly old right now, so I havent checked.

Merkuri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 08:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>I'm not saying that this is a bad idea, but after about the first or second immigrant wave, I couldn't care less about each dwarf's petty preferences.</STRONG>

Well, I'm mostly looking for things like whether there are enough weapons and armor to equip the military dwarves, if I have enough rooms, etc.  I don't want to see the preferences for each individual dwarf, I just want to see a number.  This would be something to help players decide what to do next.  Something like:

12/100 Hungry
50/100 Thirsty
3/20 Need Weapons
7/100 Need Beds
...etc.

And maybe when it comes to crafting and item creation something like this, where  the numbers represent items I am out of, or don't have enough of, and they'd be based on what I set to build in the job manager:

50 charcoal needed
5 wood needed
7 copper needed
...etc.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 06:41:00 am »

Sounds like advisors in other strategy games. I guess it'll be implemented when tutorials are?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.