Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Recruits" -> civilian at death  (Read 660 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Recruits" -> civilian at death
« on: February 23, 2008, 09:50:00 am »

In memory of fisherdwarf Cog Standardburied, who got stuck outside when the goblins struck, and died as a lowly recruit, perhaps when recruits die they should in death be labeled by their civilian job?

Another example: a legendary woodcutter who is now a flashing grey dead recruit.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: "Recruits" -> civilian at death
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 01:56:00 pm »

Seconded!!!!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 02:45:00 pm »

Yea alot of times you draft them only due to dire circumstances.

Recently I had a starting seven residents spawn on top of a very angry modded creature(Grass Assassin, giant preying mantis looking thing. Scythe arms) I drafted the whole lot of them and sent them after it.  

After an explosion of flying limbs the bug was dead and I lost 3 residents.  But it took longer than it should have to figure out exactly which classes died because I couldn't just check the deceased list for their classes.  I had to check the living ones and try to remember what was missing.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 04:15:00 pm »

Hi!

Well, an idea would be to have the game check for the highest skill with an associated profession and make that the dwarf's post mortem profession. However, I am not really sure how much trouble that would be to implement.

I agree it would make for a nice touch, but then again, it may be that people want their dwarves to show what they did in their final moments.

For instance, you might have a legendary engraver (common) and drafted him to let him make a military career. He valiantly uncovered a goblin ambush but died in defending the fortress. At the time of death, he was a valued member of the military and a medium-experienced marksdwarf. Under the above described solution, he would be buried as an engraver and not as a soldier who died defending his loved ones.

Therefore, I think this is something of a tricky issue.

Deathworks

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 04:23:00 pm »

I guess the rules would be fairly simple. If the unit died without having military skills above novice, it de-activates at death, and is shown as a civilian. If at least one weapon skill is a no-adjective, the unit will be listed as military.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Flame11235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 04:25:00 pm »

That can be a problem if someone gets novice wrestling in one battle, which has happened to me before.

Anyway, I support this idea. I drafted everyone and sent them after some goblins, and now I have a tomb full of recruits instead of civilians, which is kind of annoying.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 07:28:00 pm »

If you make it not count novice wrestling though, that's a special case. By that I mean there's no universal hard-and-fast rule that causes a military dwarf to be buried under their civilian name, or not.

What about the option to customize a dwarf post-mortem? Say you could go to their tomb or their coffin and alter their profession, or even give them a humorous nickname based on cause of death?

Or perhaps even the automatic storage of more details on coffins and tombs, so you could go and examine a coffin and instead of just, "Unib Dunib, Recruit" it says, "Unib Dunib, Recruit, Legendary Engraver, Maker of <Masterwork>."?

There's also the concept of giving dwarves a two-part title field, so that on the military and unit screen you'd see something like, "Erush Thakmomuz, Woodworker, Axedwarf". However that seems like it would be too cluttered if it was displayed all the time, maybe it should only show the active profession (be that civilian or military) while they live, and only show both on their coffin or tomb.

I do like the idea of listing achievements on coffins and in tombs though. Perhaps it could be a job where you tell dwarves to honor the dead via turtleshell or wood or whatever else they're going to decorate it with. Random engravings are kind of a haphazard way to do this right now since they won't necessarily write about a dwarf's deeds in the tomb dedicated to them.

[ February 23, 2008: Message edited by: Stromko ]
had to edit again to fix some spoonerisms, half-delirious from a cold sorry  :)

[ February 23, 2008: Message edited by: Stromko ]

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Stromko:
<STRONG>"Unib Dunib, Recruit, Legendary Engraver, Maker of <Masterwork>."</STRONG>

This is sort of the same that struck me when reading this topic, a message like,

"Dugh Stonezod, Legendary stonecutter and bonecutter, Maker of "Wheel", died as an Elite Wrestler in 1054 by a Tyrannosaurius",

combining the thoughts in this thread and what's special with DF with the tombstones of Rogue.

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 09:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Greiger:
<STRONG>But it took longer than it should have to figure out exactly which classes died because I couldn't just check the deceased list for their classes.  I had to check the living ones and try to remember what was missing.</STRONG>

In the early game, that's my reason to want this.  In the later game, it's pure vanity.

I don't want it to be their top profession, because I want my drafted legendary pump operators to die as wrestlers.

I think the logic I like best so far (stealing from suggestions above) is top military skill <novice> top military skill => undraft on death.  The effect would be that military units repurposed and trained even just a bit stay labeled as military, emergency-drafted fisherdwarves return to civilian life in the instant before their life force drains, and emergency-drafted peasants die as recruits.

Another logic I like is my original suggestion: top military <novice> undraft.  The effect is identical to above except that emergency-drafted peasants die as peasants.  Either way would reduce the number of "recruits" in my cemeteries.