Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Types of Dragon  (Read 3200 times)

L0rd_ZOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Types of Dragon
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2009, 06:23:54 pm »

Healing (or blue): a good zone only dragon that wouldn't attack unless provoked and who's breath would heal rather than hurt, and thus could be used as a hospital.

NO.

Think about it in terms natures "survival of the fittest". How exactly is healing prey going to help them hunt?

Change healing breath to regenerative health. Grow back limbs, heal fatal wounds, etc.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2009, 07:45:06 pm »

I would prefer the addition of other types of mythical dragons rather than variations of the standard European dragon.  Chinese dragons, for example.  Those would probably have some good-related alignments (going by the legends about them).  Living near one, you could offer it food and have a valuable ally.  They could be intelligent as well, and probably wouldn't like being caught and tamed (maybe have the latter be inferior in some way to offering it food and allying with it).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2009, 08:00:40 pm »

Healing (or blue): a good zone only dragon that wouldn't attack unless provoked and who's breath would heal rather than hurt, and thus could be used as a hospital.

NO.

Think about it in terms natures "survival of the fittest". How exactly is healing prey going to help them hunt?

Change healing breath to regenerative health. Grow back limbs, heal fatal wounds, etc.

Although I also find healing breath kinda silly, I just had to bring this up: You realize that despite the healing breath, said dragon is still a gigantic lizard with rending claws and teeth. It doesn't need the breath to hunt.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2009, 08:45:16 pm »

Regenerating limbs would be cool, though.  And there are reptile that do that in real life, aren't there?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2009, 09:04:31 pm »

Regenerating limbs would be cool, though.  And there are reptile that do that in real life, aren't there?

Yes. Also people have it to a limited degree but much more when they are younger.

Babies who lost the tips of their fingers have a good chance to regrow it later if I remember correctly.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2009, 09:23:26 pm »

I would prefer the addition of other types of mythical dragons rather than variations of the standard European dragon.  Chinese dragons, for example.  Those would probably have some good-related alignments (going by the legends about them).  Living near one, you could offer it food and have a valuable ally.  They could be intelligent as well, and probably wouldn't like being caught and tamed (maybe have the latter be inferior in some way to offering it food and allying with it).

Would need a different name.  Still, I feel like normal dragons should be able to develop these personalities and relationships.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 10:02:15 am »

Let's face it... Dragons are a term that has a LOT of baggage, and discussing what you want dragons to be in someone elses game is kinda silly.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2009, 10:05:48 am »

Let's face it... Dragons are a term that has a LOT of baggage, and discussing what you want dragons to be in someone elses game is kinda silly.

Aye, well, that's what modding's for.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

uttaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The living will envy the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2009, 02:31:17 pm »

Someone just played that "How to Raise a Dragon" flash game, eh?

Damn discovered, runs back to the fortress and pulls the big red lever.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2009, 08:38:28 pm »

Well, DF does seem to go a lot by traditional things with it's mythical creatures.  And by traditional, I mean the real world myths and Tolkien.  Not like the stuff in recent literature, (original) movies, or games.

Dragons were more consistent before recent years.
Just so I remember

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2009, 04:42:28 am »

Starver's ideas are too much.
For DF, yes, I was just thinking of a "starting from scratch" situation.  There are already seamonsters in the game, so the swimming/aqua/water-elemental dragon might be a bit superfluous.

And a little "why do they exist?" wouldn't hurt.  Something better than "it would be cool to have a <foo> as a tame pet", and with balance (e.g. a tame 'health-giver' dragon should be a dangerous life-sucker while still wild... it being the dual nature of the beast).

Actually, balance is probably the main thing to consider, from a game perspective.  As much as we might, at the Mod level, use an infinite wood/gem/adamantine reactor the official shuffle would be towards logic of some kind.
Pages: 1 2 [3]