Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stocks Screen Improvement: Cursor "Memory" and "Group Orders"  (Read 998 times)

Elvenshae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In the stocks screen, there are currently two ways to view your stocks: collected by category (e.g., a list of all types of stone and the count of how many of them you have), or individually (each stone individually).

When switching between the two views, the cursor's position resets, either to the top of the list (if you haven't seen that view yet) or to the last item you were viewing (if you have).  What I'd like to see is that the cursor remembers where you are in one view when switching to another.  Succinctly, if I go to the Armor category, and highlight (for instance) "Narrow Giant Cave Toad Leather Thong [10]", and switch to the item view, the cursor should immediately go to the first Narrow Giant Cave Toad Leather Thong on the list.  Similarly, if I scroll through the item list to "XX-Giant Cave Spider Cloak-XX" and switch views, the cursor would rest on "Giant Cave Spider Cloak [43]".

Secondly, you can only use the stock screen "orders" (Forbid, Reclaim, Dump, and Melt) when in the individual item view mode.  It would be much better if those orders could be added at the category level.  For instance, selecting "Narrow Iron Left Gauntlet [35]" and choosing [M]elt would set them all to be melted.  Similarly, [F]orbidding all felsite in your fortress would force your stonecrafters to use the chalk.

Thoughts?
Patryn of Elvenshae

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: Stocks Screen Improvement: Cursor "Memory" and "Group Orders"
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 10:38:45 am »

Sounds like it would be a nice idea, and quite useful for the mass forbiding.

I think that something like this may come up in the future anyways, but I would like to add my support for it in hopes of getting it sooner.
Eh?
Eh!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 10:41:16 am »

I like it.  It would help save my keyboard with all those [d]ump and [m]elt commands.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 11:46:12 am »

Those are both great and I would use them all the time.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 03:08:26 pm »

There must be a reason for why this isn't already in. I hope Toady can get past the problem eventually.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 01:43:25 pm »

Big fan of any logistics improvements

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 09:19:31 pm »

Secondly, you can only use the stock screen "orders" (Forbid, Reclaim, Dump, and Melt) when in the individual item view mode.  It would be much better if those orders could be added at the category level.  For instance, selecting "Narrow Iron Left Gauntlet [35]" and choosing [M]elt would set them all to be melted.  Similarly, [F]orbidding all felsite in your fortress would force your stonecrafters to use the chalk.

If (and I'm not saying that this is) the reason that this isn't in is because it would allow you to do something with the stocks screen that you normally wouldn't be able to do if you had accurate stocks, I would argue for allowing it anyway, as it would be like saying "Hey, dorfs! If you see a felsite rock, don't touch it!" or "Hey, dorfs! If you see a narrow iron left gauntlet, melt it!" You wouldn't need to know how many there are to do that :)

On the other hand, if this is simply just something that's difficult to code or just wasn't thought of, I'd like to second it as a good idea and something that I'd like to see. There have been a few times that I've wanted to mass forbid items that way myself.
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Elvenshae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 12:03:24 pm »

YES!

Thanks, Toady!

Quote from: Dev Page
06/22/2008: 156. ... forbid/dump/melt/hide right-side unexpanded groups in Stores, and a bit of cursor persistence stuff somebody requested for the Stores screen as well (at least partially).
Patryn of Elvenshae

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 08:10:24 pm »

Best. Presents*. Evar.

Aside from Z-levels, perhaps :)

*The mass construction is awesome as well ;D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 08:13:57 pm by Nesoo »
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside