Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clocks as Timekeeping Mechanisms  (Read 744 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Clocks as Timekeeping Mechanisms
« on: August 29, 2009, 08:53:50 am »

Clocks were mentioned in the pre-1400-technologies-not-implemented-in-the-game-thread, but the people who talked about them only came up with limited uses for them.

The real use for any kind of timing mechanism is to in turn regulate the functioning of machinery or doors. I imagine a clock device would use a mechanism and be built like a gear assembly to be linked to gears, or else used as an optional component in upright spike traps or supports. Then, one would be able to go to the clock and set a number of frames to either send inputs or halt inputs, and whether or not to repeat.

For example, I could link up a door and then tell it to be locked all except for say, 100 frames, once a year, at the same time each year. Or I could have a device that regularly replenishes the magma in my slow burning trap that allows the magma to evaporate after a small amount was released to burn victims.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 10:34:58 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Clocks as Trap or other Mechanisms
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 09:05:20 am »

It'd need power, I can tell you that much.

I'd love to see the ability to have an absurd setting so that you might have, say, a time-locked vault that won't open until 100 years from its creation, so that if you trade around a world enough, someone's adventurer might get to visit the mysterious vault.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Clocks as Timekeeping Mechanisms
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 01:55:00 pm »

The biggest problem with time is the extreme haziness as to how time passes in-game.  If you tried to set night watches or something by actual time, you'd have dwarves running to and from their posts every few minutes.  (Not that that directly ties to clocks, I'm just sayin'.)

But yeah, more on what you mentioned, timing-based mechanisms, especially for the silliness that is spike traps.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 09:21:18 pm »

We could have actual Maths!
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 10:33:28 pm »

I actually imagine that time based mechanisms would function by frame counting, so that every x-number of frames they trigger an effect. They might also be synchronized with the Dwarven year or something. Imagine a device that auto-flooded the map with magma in the spring, and then drained it by the arrival of summer.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod